Volume 23, Number 1—January 2017
Upsurge of Enterovirus D68, the Netherlands, 2016
- Sejvar JJ, Lopez AS, Cortese MM, Leshem E, Pastula DM, Miller L, et al. Acute flaccid myelitis in the United States, August–December 2014: results of nation-wide surveillance. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;63:737–45 .
- Poelman R, Schüffenecker I, Van Leer-Buter C, Josset L, Niesters HG, Lina B. ESCV-ECDC EV-D68 study group. European surveillance for enterovirus D68 during the emerging North-American outbreak in 2014. J Clin Virol. 2015;71:1–9 .
- Poelman R, Schölvinck EH, Borger R, Niesters HG, van Leer-Buter C. The emergence of enterovirus D68 in a Dutch University Medical Center and the necessity for routinely screening for respiratory viruses. J Clin Virol. 2015;62:1–5 .
- Rahamat-Langendoen J, Riezebos-Brilman A, Borger R, van der Heide R, Brandenburg A, Schölvinck E, et al. Upsurge of human enterovirus 68 infections in patients with severe respiratory tract infections. J Clin Virol. 2011;52:103–6 .
- Bosis S, Esposito S, Niesters HGM, Zuccotti GV, Marseglia G, Lanari M, et al. Role of respiratory pathogens in infants hospitalized for a first episode of wheezing and their impact on recurrences. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2008;14:677–84 .
- Nix WA, Oberste MS, Pallansch MA. Sensitive, seminested PCR amplification of VP1 sequences for direct identification of all enterovirus serotypes from original clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:2698–704 .
- Tokarz R, Firth C, Madhi SA, Howie SR, Wu W, Sall AA, et al. Worldwide emergence of multiple clades of enterovirus 68. J Gen Virol. 2012;93:1952–8 .
- Gong YN, Yang SL, Shih SR, Huang YC, Chang PY, Huang CG, et al. Molecular evolution and the global reemergence of enterovirus D68 by genome-wide analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95:e4416 .
- Messacar K, Abzug MJ, Dominguez SR. 2014 outbreak of enterovirus D68 in North America. J Med Virol. 2016;88:739–45 .
- Jansen RR, Wieringa J, Koekkoek SM, Visser CE, Pajkrt D, Molenkamp R, et al. Frequent detection of respiratory viruses without symptoms: toward defining clinically relevant cutoff values. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:2631–6 .
- Aliabadi N, Messacar K, Pastula DM, Robinson CC, Leshem E, Sejvar JJ, et al. Enterovirus D68 infection in children with acute flaccid myelitis, Colorado, USA, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:1387–94 .
- Messacar K, Schreiner TL, Van Haren K, Yang M, Glaser CA, Tyler KL, et al. Acute flaccid myelitis: A clinical review of US cases 2012–2015. Ann Neurol. 2016;80:326–38 .
- Miller L. Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists. Standardized case definition for acute flaccid myelitis. 2015 [cited 2016 Aug 20]. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.cste.org/resource/resmgr/2015PS/2015PSFinal/15-ID-01.pdf
- Schuffenecker I, Mirand A, Josset L, Henquell C, Hecquet D, Pilorgé L, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of patients infected with enterovirus D68, France, July to December 2014. Euro Surveill. 2016;21:21 .
Page created: December 14, 2016
Page updated: December 14, 2016
Page reviewed: December 14, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.