Volume 23, Number 10—October 2017
Berlin Squirrelpox Virus, a New Poxvirus in Red Squirrels, Berlin, Germany
- Sainsbury AW, Deaville R, Lawson B, Cooley WA, Farelly SS, Stack MJ, et al. Poxviral disease in red squirrels Sciurus vulgaris in the UK: spatial and temporal trends of an emerging threat. EcoHealth. 2008;5:305–16.
- Scott AC, Keymer IF, Labram J. Parapoxvirus infection of the red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris). Vet Rec. 1981;109:202.
- McInnes CJ, Wood AR, Thomas K, Sainsbury AW, Gurnell J, Dein FJ, et al. Genomic characterization of a novel poxvirus contributing to the decline of the red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) in the UK. J Gen Virol. 2006;87:2115–25.
- Himsworth CG, Musil KM, Bryan L, Hill JE. Poxvirus infection in an American red squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) from northwestern Canada. J Wildl Dis. 2009;45:1143–9.
- Obon E, Juan-Sallés C, McInnes CJ, Everest DJ. Poxvirus identified in a red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) from Spain. Vet Rec. 2011;168:86.
- Kurth A, Nitsche A. Detection of human-pathogenic poxviruses. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;665:257–78.
- Li Y, Meyer H, Zhao H, Damon IK. GC content-based pan-pox universal PCR assays for poxvirus detection. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:268–76.
- Langmead B, Salzberg SL. Fast gapped-read alignment with Bowtie 2. Nat Methods. 2012;9:357–9.
- Tausch SH, Renard BY, Nitsche A, Dabrowski PW. RAMBO-K: rapid and sensitive removal of background sequences from next generation sequencing data. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0137896.
- Zerbino DR, Birney E. Velvet: algorithms for de novo short read assembly using de Bruijn graphs. Genome Res. 2008;18:821–9.
- Darby AC, McInnes CJ, Kjær KH, Wood AR, Hughes M, Martensen PM, et al. Novel host-related virulence factors are encoded by squirrelpox virus, the main causative agent of epidemic disease in red squirrels in the UK. PLoS One. 2014;9:e96439.
- Katoh K, Standley DM. MAFFT multiple sequence alignment software version 7: improvements in performance and usability. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:772–80.
- Talavera G, Castresana J, Kjer K, Page R, Sullivan J. Improvement of phylogenies after removing divergent and ambiguously aligned blocks from protein sequence alignments. Syst Biol. 2007;56:564–77.
- Guindon S, Dufayard JF, Lefort V, Anisimova M, Hordijk W, Gascuel O. New algorithms and methods to estimate maximum-likelihood phylogenies: assessing the performance of PhyML 3.0. Syst Biol. 2010;59:307–21.
- Himsworth CG, McInnes CJ, Coulter L, Everest DJ, Hill JE. Characterization of a novel poxvirus in a North American red squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). J Wildl Dis. 2013;49:173–9.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: September 18, 2017
Page updated: September 18, 2017
Page reviewed: September 18, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.