Volume 23, Number 2—February 2017
mcr-1−Harboring Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium Sequence Type 34 in Pigs, China
- Liu YY, Wang Y, Walsh TR, Yi LX, Zhang R, Spencer J, et al. Emergence of plasmid-mediated colistin resistance mechanism MCR-1 in animals and human beings in China: a microbiological and molecular biological study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016;16:161–8.
- Schwarz S, Johnson AP. Transferable resistance to colistin: a new but old threat. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:2066–70.
- Doumith M, Godbole G, Ashton P, Larkin L, Dallman T, Day M, et al. Detection of the plasmid-mediated mcr-1 gene conferring colistin resistance in human and food isolates of Salmonella enterica and Escherichia coli in England and Wales. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:2300–5.
- Campos J, Cristino L, Peixe L, Antunes P. MCR-1 in multidrug-resistant and copper-tolerant clinically relevant Salmonella 1,4,,12:i:- and S. Rissen clones in Portugal, 2011 to 2015. Euro Surveill. 2016;21:30270.
- Rahn K, De Grandis SA, Clarke RC, McEwen SA, Galán JE, Ginocchio C, et al. Amplification of an invA gene sequence of Salmonella typhimurium by polymerase chain reaction as a specific method of detection of Salmonella. Mol Cell Probes. 1992;6:271–9.
- Sun J, Ke B, Huang Y, He D, Li X, Liang Z, et al. The molecular epidemiological characteristics and genetic diversity of Salmonella Typhimurium in Guangdong, China, 2007-2011. PLoS One. 2014;9:e113145.
- Antunes P, Mourão J, Pestana N, Peixe L. Leakage of emerging clinically relevant multidrug-resistant Salmonella clones from pig farms. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66:2028–32.
- Quesada A, Porrero MC, Téllez S, Palomo G, García M, Domínguez L. Polymorphism of genes encoding PmrAB in colistin-resistant strains of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica isolated from poultry and swine. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70:71–4.
- Wong MH, Yan M, Chan EW, Liu LZ, Kan B, Chen S. Expansion of Salmonella Typhimurium ST34 clone carrying multiple resistance determinants in China. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:4599–601.
- Mulvey MR, Finley R, Allen V, Ang L, Bekal S, El Bailey S, et al. Emergence of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype 4,,12:i:- involving human cases in Canada: results from the Canadian Integrated Program on Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance (CIPARS), 2003-10. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013;68:1982–6.
- Alikhan NF, Petty NK, Ben Zakour NL, Beatson SA. BLAST Ring Image Generator (BRIG): simple prokaryote genome comparisons. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:402.
- Aziz RK, Bartels D, Best AA, DeJongh M, Disz T, Edwards RA, et al. The RAST Server: rapid annotations using subsystems technology. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:75.
- Zhi C, Lv L, Yu LF, Doi Y, Liu JH. Dissemination of the mcr-1 colistin resistance gene. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016;16:292–3.
- Brennan E, Martins M, McCusker MP, Wang J, Alves BM, Hurley D, et al. Multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli in bovine animals, Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:1650–2.
- McGann P, Snesrud E, Maybank R, Corey B, Ong AC, Clifford R, et al. Escherichia coli Harboring mcr-1 and blaCTX-M on a Novel IncF Plasmid: First Report of mcr-1 in the United States. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:4420–1.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: January 17, 2017
Page updated: January 17, 2017
Page reviewed: January 17, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.