Volume 23, Number 5—May 2017
Survey of Treponemal Infections in Free-Ranging and Captive Macaques, 1999–2012
- The World Health Organization. Eradication of yaws—the Morges strategy. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2012;87:189–94.
- Knauf S, Liu H, Harper KN. Treponemal infection in nonhuman primates as possible reservoir for human yaws. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:2058–60.
- Marks M, Mitjà O, Vestergaard LS, Pillay A, Knauf S, Chen CY, et al. Challenges and key research questions for yaws eradication. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:1220–5.
- Zobaníková M, Strouhal M, Mikalová L, Cejková D, Ambrožová L, Pospíšilová P, et al. Whole genome sequence of the Treponema Fribourg-Blanc: unspecified simian isolate is highly similar to the yaws subspecies. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2172.
- Smith JL, David NJ, Indgin S, Israel CW, Levine BM, Justice J Jr, et al. Neuro-ophthalmological study of late yaws and pinta. II. The Caracas project. Br J Vener Dis. 1971;47:226–51.
- Nichols HJ. Experimental yaws in the monkey and rabbit. J Exp Med. 1910;12:616–22.
- Lahariya C, Pradhan SK. Can Southeast Asia eradicate yaws by 2010? Some lessons from the Yaws Eradication Programme of India. Natl Med J India. 2007;20:81–6.
- Mitjà O, Marks M, Konan DJ, Ayelo G, Gonzalez-Beiras C, Boua B, et al. Global epidemiology of yaws: a systematic review. Lancet Glob Health. 2015;3:e324–31.
- Hotez PJ, Bottazzi ME, Strych U, Chang LY, Lim YAL, Goodenow MM, et al. Neglected tropical diseases among the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN): overview and update. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9:e0003575.
- Jones-Engel L, Steinkraus KA, Murray SM, Engel GA, Grant R, Aggimarangsee N, et al. Sensitive assays for simian foamy viruses reveal a high prevalence of infection in commensal, free-ranging Asian monkeys. J Virol. 2007;81:7330–7.
- Knauf S, Dahlmann F, Batamuzi EK, Frischmann S, Liu H. Validation of serological tests for the detection of antibodies against Treponema pallidum in nonhuman primates. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9:e0003637.
- Jones-Engel L, Engel GA, Schillaci MA, Babo R, Froehlich J. Detection of antibodies to selected human pathogens among wild and pet macaques (Macaca tonkeana) in Sulawesi, Indonesia. Am J Primatol. 2001;54:171–8.
- Wilbur AK, Engel GA, Rompis A, A Putra IG, Lee BP, Aggimarangsee N, et al. From the mouths of monkeys: detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA from buccal swabs of synanthropic macaques. Am J Primatol. 2012;74:676–86.
- Oberste MS, Feeroz MM, Maher K, Nix WA, Engel GA, Hasan KM, et al. Characterizing the picornavirus landscape among synanthropic nonhuman primates in Bangladesh, 2007 to 2008. J Virol. 2013;87:558–71.
- Karlsson EA, Small CT, Freiden P, Feeroz MM, Matsen FA IV, San S, et al. Non-human primates harbor diverse mammalian and avian astroviruses including those associated with human infections. PLoS Pathog. 2015;11:e1005225.
Page created: April 17, 2017
Page updated: April 17, 2017
Page reviewed: April 17, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.