Volume 24, Number 11—November 2018
Epidemiology of Buruli Ulcer Infections, Victoria, Australia, 2011–2016
- World Health Organization. Global Health Observatory data [cited 2017 May 22]. http://www.who.int/gho/neglected_diseases/buruli_ulcer/en/
- Fyfe JA, Lavender CJ, Handasyde KA, Legione AR, O’Brien CR, Stinear TP, et al. A major role for mammals in the ecology of Mycobacterium ulcerans. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4:e791.
- Wallace JR, Mangas KM, Porter JL, Marcsisin R, Pidot SJ, Howden B, et al. Mycobacterium ulcerans low infectious dose and mechanical transmission support insect bites and puncturing injuries in the spread of Buruli ulcer. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005553.
- Johnson PD, Azuolas J, Lavender CJ, Wishart E, Stinear TP, Hayman JA, et al. Mycobacterium ulcerans in mosquitoes captured during outbreak of Buruli ulcer, southeastern Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1653–60.
- Johnson PD, Lavender CJ. Correlation between Buruli ulcer and vector-borne notifiable diseases, Victoria, Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:614–5.
- Quek TY, Athan E, Henry MJ, Pasco JA, Redden-Hoare J, Hughes A, et al. Risk factors for Mycobacterium ulcerans infection, southeastern Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1661–6.
- Steffen CM, Smith M, McBride WJ. Mycobacterium ulcerans infection in North Queensland: the ‘Daintree ulcer’. ANZ J Surg. 2010;80:732–6.
- Boyd SC, Athan E, Friedman ND, Hughes A, Walton A, Callan P, et al. Epidemiology, clinical features and diagnosis of Mycobacterium ulcerans in an Australian population. Med J Aust. 2012;196:341–4.
- Johnson PD, Veitch MG, Leslie DE, Flood PE, Hayman JA. The emergence of Mycobacterium ulcerans infection near Melbourne. Med J Aust. 1996;164:76–8.
- Francis G, Whitby M, Woods M. Mycobacterium ulcerans infection: a rediscovered focus in the Capricorn Coast region of central Queensland. Med J Aust. 2006;185:179–80.
- Fyfe JA, Lavender CJ, Johnson PD, Globan M, Sievers A, Azuolas J, et al. Development and application of two multiplex real-time PCR assays for the detection of Mycobacterium ulcerans in clinical and environmental samples. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:4733–40.
- Ross BC, Marino L, Oppedisano F, Edwards R, Robins-Browne RM, Johnson PD. Development of a PCR assay for rapid diagnosis of Mycobacterium ulcerans infection. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:1696–700.
- World Health Organization. Laboratory diagnosis of Buruli ulcer: a manual for health care providers: Geneva: The Organization; 2014.
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Services. Notification of Mycobacterium ulcerans (Buruli ulcer) [cited 2017 Apr 17]. https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/about/publications/formsandtemplates/notification-of-mycobacterium-ulcerans
- World Health Organization. Treatment of Mycobacterium ulcerans disease (Buruli ulcer): Geneva: The Organization; 2012.
- Research Data Australia, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. VIC Suburb/Locality Boundaries—PSMA Administrative Boundaries [cited 2017 May 8]. https://researchdata.ands.org.au/vic-suburblocality-boundaries-administrative-boundaries/644824
- Carson C, Lavender CJ, Handasyde KA, O’Brien CR, Hewitt N, Johnson PD, et al. Potential wildlife sentinels for monitoring the endemic spread of human buruli ulcer in South-East australia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2014;8:e2668.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population by age and sex, regions of Australia. Canberra (ACT, Australia). Bur. 2013;•••:2014.
- Trubiano JA, Lavender CJ, Fyfe JA, Bittmann S, Johnson PD. The incubation period of Buruli ulcer (Mycobacterium ulcerans infection). PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2463.
- Loftus MJ, Trubiano JA, Tay EL, Lavender CJ, Globan M, Fyfe JAM, et al. The incubation period of Buruli ulcer (Mycobacterium ulcerans infection) in Victoria, Australia - Remains similar despite changing geographic distribution of disease. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018;12:e0006323.
- Ablordey A, Swings J, Hubans C, Chemlal K, Locht C, Portaels F, et al. Multilocus variable-number tandem repeat typing of Mycobacterium ulcerans. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:1546–51.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian demographic statistics. Canberra (ACT, Australia). Bur. 2016;•••:2017.
- Edwards JH. The recognition and estimation of cyclic trends. Ann Hum Genet. 1961;25:83–7.
- Yerramilli A, Tay EL, Stewardson AJ, Kelley PG, Bishop E, Jenkin GA, et al. The location of Australian Buruli ulcer lesions-Implications for unravelling disease transmission. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005800.
- Quek TY, Henry MJ, Pasco JA, O’Brien DP, Johnson PD, Hughes A, et al. Mycobacterium ulcerans infection: factors influencing diagnostic delay. Med J Aust. 2007;187:561–3.
- Veitch MG, Johnson PD, Flood PE, Leslie DE, Street AC, Hayman JA. A large localized outbreak of Mycobacterium ulcerans infection on a temperate southern Australian island. Epidemiol Infect. 1997;119:313–8.
- Coutts S, Tay EL. Factors influencing delayed presentation and diagnosis for Buruli ulcer in Victoria, 2011–2016. Presented at: Communicable Diseases Control Conference; 2017 Jun 26–28; Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Tai AYC, Athan E, Friedman ND, Hughes A, Walton A, O’Brien DP. Increased severity and spread of Mycobacterium ulcerans, southeastern Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2018;24:58–64.
- Lavender CJ, Fyfe JA, Azuolas J, Brown K, Evans RN, Ray LR, et al. Risk of Buruli ulcer and detection of Mycobacterium ulcerans in mosquitoes in southeastern Australia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1305.
- O’Brien DP, Wynne JW, Buultjens AH, Michalski WP, Stinear TP, Friedman ND, et al. Exposure risk for infection and lack of human-to-human transmission of Mycobacterium ulcerans disease, Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:837–40.
- Friedman ND, Athan E, Hughes AJ, Khajehnoori M, McDonald A, Callan P, et al. Mycobacterium ulcerans disease: experience with primary oral medical therapy in an Australian cohort. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2315.
- Pak J, O’Brien DP, Quek T, Athan E. Treatment costs of Mycobacterium ulcerans in the antibiotic era. Int Health. 2012;4:123–7.
1Joint senior authors.
Page created: October 16, 2018
Page updated: October 16, 2018
Page reviewed: October 16, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.