Volume 26, Number 11—November 2020
Challenges to Achieving Measles Elimination, Georgia, 2013–2018
- World Health Organization. Eliminating measles and rubella. Framework for the verification process in the WHO European Region. 2014 [cited 2019 Oct 2]. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/247356/Eliminating-measles-and-rubella-Framework-for-the-verification-process-in-the-WHO-European-Region.pdf
- World Health Organization Regional Committee for Europe. Resolution EUR/RC60/R12 on renewed commitment to elimination of measles and rubella and prevention of congenital rubella syndrome by 2015 and sustained support for polio-free status in the WHO European Region. Copenhagen: World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe; 2010 [cited 2019 Oct 2]. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/122236/RC60_eRes12.pdf
- Patel MK, Dumolard L, Nedelec Y, Sodha SV, Steulet C, Gacic-Dobo M, et al. Progress toward regional measles elimination—worldwide, 2000–2018. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019;68:1105–11.
- World Health Organization. Eighth Meeting of the European Regional Verification Commission for Measles and Rubella Elimination. 2019 Jun 12–14. Warsaw, Poland [cited 2019 Oct 2]. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/413236/8th-RVC-Report.pdf
- Doshi S, Khetsuriani N, Zakhashvili K, Baidoshvili L, Imnadze P, Uzicanin A. Ongoing measles and rubella transmission in Georgia, 2004-05: implications for the national and regional elimination efforts. Int J Epidemiol. 2009;38:182–91.
- World Health Organization. Disease incidence series—measles [cited 2019 Oct 2]. http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/timeseries/tsincidencemeasles.html
- Tatochenko V, Mitjushin IL. Contraindications to vaccination in the Russian Federation. J Infect Dis. 2000;181(Suppl 1):S228–31.
- Khetsuriani N, Imnadze P, Dekanosidze N. Diphtheria epidemic in the Republic of Georgia, 1993-1997. J Infect Dis. 2000;181(Suppl 1):S80–5.
- Khetsuriani N, Imnadze P, Baidoshvili L, Jabidze L, Tatishili N, Kurtsikashvili G, et al. Impact of unfounded vaccine safety concerns on the nationwide measles-rubella immunization campaign, Georgia, 2008. Vaccine. 2010;28:6455–62.
- Ministry of Labor, Health, and Social Welfare of Georgia. National guidelines for measles, rubella, and congenital rubella syndrome surveillance and outbreak control. Tbilisi, 2017 [in Georgian] [cited 2019 Oct 3]. http://ncdc.ge/Pages/User/News.aspx?ID=71654a22-1b85-4ecf-ade3-fbdf8668113a
- Rota PA, Brown K, Mankertz A, Santibanez S, Shulga S, Muller CP, et al. Global distribution of measles genotypes and measles molecular epidemiology. J Infect Dis. 2011;204(Suppl 1):S514–23.
- Santibanez S, Hübschen JM, Ben Mamou MC, Muscat M, Brown KE, Myers R, et al. Molecular surveillance of measles and rubella in the WHO European Region: new challenges in the elimination phase. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017;23:516–23.
- Khetsuriani N, Wannemuehler K, Geleishvili M, Komakhidze T. Final report—immunization coverage survey in Georgia, 2015–2016. Tbilisi (Georgia): US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Ministry of Labor, Health, and Social Affairs of Georgia; 2017. pp.1–58 [cited 2020 Apr 12]. https://www.ncdc.ge/Pages/User/Documents.aspx?ID=1d6e5458-6504-4e5c-88a1-e547b79d5b47&language=en-US
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Version 7.0 for Bigger Datasets. Mol Biol Evol. 2016;33:1870–4.
- The Law of Georgia on Health Care, as amended 14 November, 2018 [in Georgian] [cited 2019 Oct 2]. https://matsne.gov.ge/ka/document/view/29980
- Minister of Internally Displaced Persons from the Occupied Territories, Labor, Health, and Social Affairs of Georgia. Decree No. 01–6/N: on approval of the list of occupations subject to mandatory preventive immunizations [in Georgian]. 2019 Jan 2 [cited 2019 Oct 2]. https://www.moh.gov.ge/uploads/files/2019/Failebi/30.01.2019-2.pdf
- Khetsuriani N, Sanadze K, Abuladze M, Tatishvili N. High risk of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis following measles outbreaks in Georgia. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2020;26:737–42.
- Khetsuriani N, Chitadze N, Russell S, Ben Mamou M. Measles and rubella seroprevalence among adults in Georgia in 2015: helping guide the elimination efforts. Epidemiol Infect. 2019;147:
- Funk S, Knapp JK, Lebo E, Reef SE, Dabbagh AJ, Kretsinger K, et al. Combining serological and contact data to derive target immunity levels for achieving and maintaining measles elimination. BMC Med. 2019;17:180.
- National Statistics Office of Georgia (GEOSTAT). 2014 general population census—main results, general information [cited 2019 Oct 2]. http://census.ge/files/results/Census_release_ENG.pdf
- Beaty SM, Lee B. Constraints on the genetic and antigenic variability of measles virus. Viruses. 2016;8:109.
- Spika JS, Aidyralieva C, Mukharskaya L, Kostyuchenko NN, Mulders M, Lipskaya G, et al. Measles outbreak in the Ukraine, 2005-2006. Euro Surveill. 2006;11:
- Velicko I, Müller LL, Pebody R, Gergonne B, Aidyralieva C, Kostiuchenko N, et al. Nationwide measles epidemic in Ukraine: the effect of low vaccine effectiveness. Vaccine. 2008;26:6980–5.
- Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Public Health Center. Operational data on the incidence of measles: September 26, 2019 [in Ukrainian] [cited 2019 Oct 3]. https://phc.org.ua/news/kir-ne-vidstupae-ediniy-nadiyniy-zakhist-vakcinaciya-0
- World Health Organization. Immunization, vaccines, and biologicals. Data, statistics, and graphics. Case-series [2019 Oct 3]. http://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/data
- World Health Organization. Reported incidence time series—measles cases, Bosnia and Herzegovina [2019 Oct 21]. https://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/incidences?c=BIH%20=%20BIH%20cases%20of%20VPDs
- Salimović-Bešić I, Šeremet M, Hübschen JM, Hukić M, Tihić N, Ahmetagić S, et al. Epidemiologic and laboratory surveillance of the measles outbreak in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, February 2014-April 2015. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:563.e1–7.
- World Health Organization. Seventh Meeting of the European Regional Verification Commission for Measles and Rubella Elimination (RVC). 2018 Jun 13–15. Paris, France [cited 2019 Oct 2]. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/378926/7th-RVC-Meeting-Report-FINAL.pdf
- Khetsuriani N, Deshevoi S, Goel A, Spika J, Martin R, Emiroglu N. Supplementary immunization activities to achieve measles elimination: experience of the European Region. J Infect Dis. 2011;204(Suppl 1):S343–52.
Page created: September 14, 2020
Page updated: October 17, 2020 10:15 PM EDT
Page reviewed: October 17, 2020 10:15 PM EDT
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.