Disclaimer: Early release articles are not considered as final versions. Any changes will be reflected in the online version in the month the article is officially released.
Volume 27, Number 6—June 2021
Twenty-Year Public Health Impact of 7- and 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines in US Children
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Preventing pneumococcal disease among infants and young children. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2000;49(RR-9):1–35.
- Douglas RM, Paton JC, Duncan SJ, Hansman DJ. Antibody response to pneumococcal vaccination in children younger than five years of age. J Infect Dis. 1983;148:131–7.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Direct and indirect effects of routine vaccination of children with 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on incidence of invasive pneumococcal disease—United States, 1998-2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005;54:893–7.
- Kellner JD, Vanderkooi OG, MacDonald J, Church DL, Tyrrell GJ, Scheifele DW. Changing epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in Canada, 1998-2007: update from the Calgary-area Streptococcus pneumoniae research (CASPER) study. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:205–12.
- Black S, Shinefield H, Fireman B, Lewis E, Ray P, Hansen JR, et al.; Northern California Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center Group. Efficacy, safety and immunogenicity of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2000;19:187–95.
- Haber M, Barskey A, Baughman W, Barker L, Whitney CG, Shaw KM, et al. Herd immunity and pneumococcal conjugate vaccine: a quantitative model. Vaccine. 2007;25:5390–8.
- Miller E, Andrews NJ, Waight PA, Slack MP, George RC. Herd immunity and serotype replacement 4 years after seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in England and Wales: an observational cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011;11:760–8.
- Eskola J. Polysaccharide-based pneumococcal vaccines in the prevention of acute otitis media. Vaccine. 2000;19(Suppl 1):S78–82.
- Strutton DR, Farkouh RA, Rubin JL, McGarry LJ, Loiacono PM, Klugman KP, et al. Modeling the impact of the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine serotype catch-up program using United States claims data. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:175.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National, state, and urban area vaccination coverage among children aged 19-35 months—United States, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55:988–93.
- Tau N, Yahav D, Shepshelovich D. Postmarketing safety of vaccines approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2020;173:445–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Active Bacterial Core surveillance: surveillance reports. 2020 [cited 2020 Feb 29]. https://www.cdc.gov/abcs/reports-findings/surv-reports.html
- Chapman R, Sutton K, Dillon-Murphy D, Patel S, Hilton B, Farkouh R, et al. Ten year public health impact of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in infants: A modelling analysis. Vaccine. 2020;38:7138–45.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG; PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med. 2009;6:
- Loo JD, Conklin L, Fleming-Dutra KE, Deloria Knoll M, Park DE, Kirk J, et al. Systematic review of the effect of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine dosing schedules on prevention of pneumonia. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33(Suppl 2):S140–51.
- Tan TQ. Pediatric invasive pneumococcal disease in the United States in the era of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012;25:409–19.
- Tin Tin Htar M, van Den Biggelaar AHJ, Sings H, Ferreira G, Moffatt M, Hall-Murray C, et al. The impact of routine childhood immunization with higher-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on antimicrobial-resistant pneumococcal diseases and carriage: a systematic literature review. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2019;18:1069–89.
- Myint TTH, Madhava H, Balmer P, Christopoulou D, Attal S, Menegas D, et al. The impact of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on invasive pneumococcal disease: a literature review. Adv Ther. 2013;30:127–51.
- Aliberti S, Kaye KS. The changing microbiologic epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia. Postgrad Med. 2013;125:31–42.
- Arguedas A, Soley C, Abdelnour A. Prevenar experience. Vaccine. 2011;29(Suppl 3):C26–34.
- Balsells E, Guillot L, Nair H, Kyaw MH. Serotype distribution of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing invasive disease in children in the post-PCV era: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2017;12:
- United States Census Bureau. Population and housing unit estimates tables. 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 1]. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/data/tables.html
- Zhou X, de Luise C, Gaffney M, Burt CW, Scott DA, Gatto N, et al. National impact of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on ambulatory care visits for otitis media in children under 5 years in the United States. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2019;119:96–102.
- Simonsen L, Taylor RJ, Young-Xu Y, Haber M, May L, Klugman KP. Impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination of infants on pneumonia and influenza hospitalization and mortality in all age groups in the United States. MBio. 2011;2:e00309–10.
- Foote EM, Singleton RJ, Holman RC, Seeman SM, Steiner CA, Bartholomew M, et al. Lower respiratory tract infection hospitalizations among American Indian/Alaska Native children and the general United States child population. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2015;74:29256.
- Grijalva CG, Griffin MR, Nuorti JP, Walter ND; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Pneumonia hospitalizations among young children before and after introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine—United States, 1997-2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:1–4.
- Lessa FC, Spiller MT, Soda E, Weinberger D, Griffin MR, Grijalva CG, et al. Impact of introduction of infant vaccination with 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) on pneumonia and invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) hospitalizations in the United States, 2005–2014. Presented at: 11th International Symposium on Pneumococci and Pneumococcal Diseases; 2018 Apr 15–19: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Tong S, Amand C, Kieffer A, Kyaw MH. Trends in healthcare utilization and costs associated with pneumonia in the United States during 2008-2014. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018;18:715.
- Grijalva CG, Nuorti JP, Arbogast PG, Martin SW, Edwards KM, Griffin MR. Decline in pneumonia admissions after routine childhood immunisation with pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in the USA: a time-series analysis. Lancet. 2007;369:1179–86.
- Black S, Shinefield H, Baxter R, Austrian R, Elvin L, Hansen J, et al. Impact of the use of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on disease epidemiology in children and adults. Vaccine. 2006;24(Suppl 2):S2–79, 80.
- Yildirim I, Little BA, Finkelstein J, Lee G, Hanage WP, Shea K, et al.; T; he Massachusetts Dept. of Public Health. Surveillance of pneumococcal colonization and invasive pneumococcal disease reveals shift in prevalent carriage serotypes in Massachusetts’ children to relatively low invasiveness. Vaccine. 2017;35:4002–9.
- Marom T, Tan A, Wilkinson GS, Pierson KS, Freeman JL, Chonmaitree T. Trends in otitis media-related health care use in the United States, 2001-2011. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168:68–75.
- Tong S, Amand C, Kieffer A, Kyaw MH. Trends in healthcare utilization and costs associated with acute otitis media in the United States during 2008-2014. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018;18:318.
- Ray GT, Pelton SI, Klugman KP, Strutton DR, Moore MR. Cost-effectiveness of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine: an update after 7 years of use in the United States. Vaccine. 2009;27:6483–94.
- Pulido M, Sorvillo F. Declining invasive pneumococcal disease mortality in the United States, 1990-2005. Vaccine. 2010;28:889–92.
- World Health Organization. Estimated Hib and pneumococcal deaths for children under 5 years of age, 2000. 2014 [cited 2020 Mar 1]. https://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/burden/estimates/Pneumo_hib/en
- Shiri T, Khan K, Keaney K, Mukherjee G, McCarthy ND, Petrou S. Pneumococcal disease: a systematic review of health utilities, resource use, costs, and economic evaluations of interventions. Value Health. 2019;22:1329–44.
- Dagan R, Ben-Shimol S, Greenberg D, Givon-Lavi N. A prospective, population-based study to determine the incidence and bacteriology of bacterial conjunctivitis in children <2 years following PCV7/PCV13 sequential implementation. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Mar 4 [Epub ahead of print].
- Porat N, Benisty R, Givon-Lavi N, Trefler R, Dagan R. The impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on carriage of and disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 6C and 6D in southern Israel. Vaccine. 2016;34:2806–12.
- Jansen KU, Anderson AS. The role of vaccines in fighting antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2018;14:2142–9.
- Wantuch PL, Avci FY. Current status and future directions of invasive pneumococcal diseases and prophylactic approaches to control them. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2018;14:2303–9.
Page created: April 15, 2021
Page updated: April 29, 2021
Page reviewed: April 29, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.