Volume 6, Number 1—February 2000
Molecular Genetic Evidence of a Novel Morbillivirus in a Long-Finned Pilot Whale (Globicephalus melas)
- Kennedy S. Morbillivirus infections in aquatic mammals. J Comp Pathol. 1998;119:201–25.
- Lipscomb TP, Schulman FY, Moffett D, Kennedy S. Morbilliviral disease in Atlantic bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from the 1987-1988 epizootic. J Wildl Dis. 1994;30:567–71.
- Schulman FY, Lipscomb TP, Moffett D, Krafft AE, Lichy JH, Tsai MM, Reevaluation of the 1987-88 Atlantic coast bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) mortality event with histologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular evidence for a morbilliviral etiology. Vet Pathol. 1997;34:288–95.
- Osterhaus ADME, Groen J, Spijkers HEM, Broeders HWJ, UytdeHaag FGCM, de Vries P, . Mass mortality in seals caused by a newly discovered morbillivirus. Vet Microbiol. 1990;23:343–50.
- Kennedy S, Smyth JA, Cush PF, McAliskey M, McCullough SJ, Rima BK. Seven histopathologic and immunocytochemical studies of distemper in harbor porpoises. Vet Pathol. 1991;28:1–7.
- Domingo M, Vilafranca M, Visa J, Prats N, Trudgett AL, Visser I. Evidence of chronic morbillivirus infection in the Mediterranean striped dolphin (Stenella coeruleoalba). Vet Microbiol. 1995;44:229–39.
- Krafft AE, Lichy JH, Lipscomb TP, Klaunberg BA, Kennedy S, Taubenberger JK. Postmortem diagnosis of morbillivirus infection in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico epizootics by a polymerase chain reaction-based assay. J Wildl Dis. 1995;31:410–5.
- Lipscomb TP, Kennedy S, Moffett D, Krafft AE, Klaunberg BA, Lichy JH, Morbilliviral epizootic in Atlantic bottlenose dolphins of the Gulf of Mexico. J Vet Diagn Invest. 1996;8:283–90.
- Reidarson TH, McBain J, House C, King DP, Stott JL, Krafft AE, Morbillivirus infection in stranded common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) from the Pacific Ocean. J Wildl Dis. 1998;34:771–6.
- Barrett T, Visser IKG, Mamaev L, Goatley L, van Bressem M-F, Osterhaus ADME. Dolphin and porpoise morbilliviruses are genetically distinct from phocine distemper virus. Virology. 1993;193:1010–2.
- Taubenberger JK, Tsai MM, Krafft AE, Lichy JH, Reid AH, Schulman FY, Two different morbilliviruses implicated in bottlenose dolphin epizootics. Emerg Infect Dis. 1996;2:213–6.
- Swofford DL. PAUP: Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony, version 3.1.1 (Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, Illinois; 1991.
- Kumar S, Tamura K, Nei M. Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis, version 1.01. Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania; 1993.
- Duignan PJ, House C, Geraci JR, Duffy N, Rima BK, Walsh MT, Morbillivirus infection in cetaceans of the western Atlantic. Vet Microbiol. 1995;44:241–9.
- Duignan PJ, House C, Geraci JR, Early G, Copland HG, Walsh MT, Morbillivirus infection in two species of pilot whales (Globicephala sp.) from the western Atlantic. Mar Mamm Sci. 1995;11:150–62.
Page created: May 09, 2011
Page updated: May 09, 2011
Page reviewed: May 09, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.