Volume 7, Number 1—February 2001
Active Bacterial Core Surveillance of the Emerging Infections Program Network
|Factors associated with increased risk by|
|Pathogen||Age group, other criteria||multivariate analysis||References|
|Streptococcus pneumoniae||<5 years old||Child-care attendance, underlying conditions, lack of breast-feeding, household crowding||(29)|
|18-64 years old, not immunocompromised||Active or passive smoke exposure, black race, chronic diseases, household contact with child in day care||(30)|
|Neisseria meningitidis||All ages||Active or passive smoke exposure, underlying conditions, steroid use, attendance at new school||(31)|
|Group B Streptococcus||<7 days old||Black race, low birth weight, maternal age <20 years||CDC, unpub. data|
- Lederberg J, Shope RE, Oaks SCJ. Emerging infections: microbial threats to health in the United States. Washington: National Academy Press; 1992.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Defining the public health impact of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae: report of a working group. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1996;45(No.RR-1):1–14.
- Klugman KP. Pneumococcal resistance to antibiotics. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1990;3:171–96.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Geographic variation in penicillin resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae--selected sites, United States, 1997. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999;48:656–61.
- Charles D, Larsen B. Streptococcal puerperal sepsis and obstetric infections: a historical perspective. Rev Infect Dis. 1986;8:411–22.
- Schwartz B, Facklam RR, Breiman RF. Changing epidemiology of group A streptococcal infection in the USA. Lancet. 1990;336:1167–71.
- Freedman RA, Ingram DL, Gross I, Ehrenkranz PA, Warshaw JB, Baltimore RS. A half century of neonatal sepsis at Yale, 1928 to 1978. Am J Dis Child. 1981;135:140–4.
- McCracken GH. Group B streptococci: the new challenge in neonatal infections. J Pediatr. 1973;82:703–6.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations for use of Haemophilus influenzae b conjugate vaccines and a combined diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and Haemophilus b vaccine. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1993;42(RR-13):1–15.
- Schuchat A, Robinson K, Wenger JD, Harrison LH, Farley M, Reingold AL, Bacterial meningitis in the United States in 1995. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:970–6.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Addressing emerging infectious disease threats: a prevention strategy for the United States. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 1994.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Preventing emerging infectious diseases: a strategy for the 21st century. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 1998.
- Schuchat A, Whitney C, Zangwill K. Prevention of perinatal group B streptococcal disease: a public health perspective. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1996;45(No. RR-7):1–24.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention of pneumococcal disease: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1997;46(RR-8):1–24.
- Wenger JD, Pierce R, Deaver K, Plikaytis BD, Facklam RR, Broome CV. Efficacy of Haemophilus influenzae type b polysaccharide-diptheria toxoid conjugate vaccine in US children aged 18-59 months. Lancet. 1991;338:395–8.
- Schuchat A, Deaver K, Wenger JD, Plikaytis BD, Mascola L, Pinner RW, Role of foods in sporadic listeriosis. I: case-control study of dietary risk factors. JAMA. 1992;267:2041–5.
- Pinner RW, Schuchat A, Swaminathan B, Hayes PS, Deaver KA, Weaver RE, Role of foods in sporadic listeriosis. II: microbiologic and epidemiologic investigation. JAMA. 1992;267:2046–50.
- Mohle-Boetani J, Schuchat A, Plikaytis BD, Smith D, Broome CV. Comparison of prevention strategies for neonatal group B streptococcal infection: a population-based economic analysis. JAMA. 1993;270:1442–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network, 1996. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1997;46:258–61.
- Perkins BA, Flood JM, Danila R, Holman RC, Reingold AL, Klug LA, Unexplained deaths due to possibly infectious causes in the United States: defining the problem and designing surveillance and laboratory approaches. Emerg Infect Dis. 1996;2:47–53.
- Zangwill KM, Schuchat A, Wenger JD. Group B streptococcal disease in the United States, 1990: report from a multistate active surveillance system. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1992;41(SS-6):25–32.
- Schrag S, Zywicki S, Farley MM, Reingold AL, Harrison LH, Lefkowitz LB, Group B streptococcal disease in the era of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis, 1993-1998. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:15–20.
- Chin AE, Hedberg K, Cieslak PR, Cassidy M, Stefonek KR, Fleming DW. Tracking drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in Oregon: an alternative surveillance method. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999; 5.
- Beall B, Facklam R, Thompson T. Sequencing the emm-specific PCR products for routine and accurate typing of group A streptococci. J Clin Microbiol. 1996;34:953–8.
- Harrison LH, Dwyer DM, Johnson JA. Emergence of serotype V group B streptococcal infection among infants and adults. J Infect Dis. 1995;171:513.
- Blumberg HM, Stephens DS, Modansky M, Erwin M, Elliott J, Facklam R, Invasive group B streptococcal disease: the emergence of serotype V. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:365–73.
- Swartley JS, Marfin AA, Edupuganti S, Liu LJ, Cieslak P, Perkins B, Capsule switching of Neisseria meningitidis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:271–6.
- Gherardi G, Whitney C, Facklam R, Beall B. Major related sets of antibiotic-resistant pneumococci in the United States as determined by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and pbp1a-pbp2b-pbp2x-dhf restriction profiles. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:216–29.
- Levine OS, Farley MM, Harrison LH, Lefkowitz L, McGeer A, Schwartz B. Risk factors for invasive pneumococcal disease in children: a population-based case-control study in North America. Pediatrics. 1999;103:e28.
- Nuorti JP, Butler JC, Farley MM, Harrison LH, McGeer A, Kolczak MS, Cigarette smoking and invasive pneumococcal disease. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:681–9.
- Fischer M, Harrison L, Farley M, Lefkowitz L, McGeer A, Schuchat A, Risk factors for sporadic meningococcal disease in North America. Philadelphia: Infectious Diseases Society of America; 2000.
- Lingappa J, Zell E, Rosenstein N, Schuchat A, Perkins BA. Active Bacterial Core surveillance. Impact of vaccination strategies using meningococcal conjugate vaccines in the United States. Philadelphia: Infectious Disease Society of America; 1999.
- Feikin DR, Schuchat A, Kolczak M, Barrett NL, Harrison LH, Lefkowitz L, Mortality for invasive pneumococcal pneumonia in the era of antibiotic resistance, 1995-1997. Am J Public Health. 2000;90:223–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Laboratory practices for prenatal group B streptococcal screening and reporting--Connecticut, Georgia, and Minnesota, 1997-1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999;48:426–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Laboratory capacity to detect antimicrobial resistance. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000;48:1167–71.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance for Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease--United States. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1996;45:665–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Intussusception among recipients of rotavirus vaccine--United States, 1998-1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999;48:577–81.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adoption of hospital policies for prevention of perinatal group B streptococcal disease--United States, 1997. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998;47:665–70.
- Factor SH, Whitney CG, Zywicki S, Schuchat A. the ABC Surveillance Team. Effects of hospital policies on the 1996 Group B streptococcal consensus guidelines. Obstet Gynecol. 2000;95:377–82.
- Roome A, Carley K, Melchreit R, Foye G, Hadler J. Testing pregnant women for HIV. A survey of obstetricians and review of patient prenatal/obstetric medical records--Connecticut 1996-1997. Conn Med. 1999;63:541.
- Lynfield R, Rubin M, White K, Schuchat A, Moore K, Osterholm M, Prenatal HIV screening practices in Minnesota. Philadelphia: Infectious Diseases Society of America; 1999.
- Adams WG, Deaver KA, Cochi SL, Plikaytis BD, Zell ER, Broome CV, Decline of childhood Haemophilus influenzae type b disease in the Hib vaccine era. JAMA. 1993;269:221–6.
Page created: March 16, 2011
Page updated: March 16, 2011
Page reviewed: March 16, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.