Volume 7, Number 7—June 2001
International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases 2000
Antibacterial Household Products: Cause for Concern
aAdapted from (17).
bMIC (µg/ml) (BZ-R = parent resistant to benzalkonium chloride)
- Neu HC. The crisis in antibiotic resistance. Science. 1992;257:1064–73.
- Levy SB. The antibiotic paradox. How miracle drugs are destroying the miracle. New York: Plenum; 1992.
- McMurry LM, Oethinger M, Levy SB. Triclosan targets lipid synthesis. Nature. 1998;394:531–2.
- McMurry LM, Oethinger M, Levy SB. Overexpression of marA, soxS or acrAB produces resistance to triclosan in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;166:305–9.
- Suller MT, Russell AD. Triclosan and antibiotic resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2000;46:11–8.
- Hoang TT, Schweizer HP. Characterization of Pseudomonas aeruginosa enoyl-acyl carrier protein reductase (FabI): a target for the antimicrobial triclosan and its role in homoserine lactone synthesis. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5489–97.
- Russell AD, Tattawasart U, Maillard J-Y, Furr JR. Possible link between bacterial resistance and use of antibiotics and biocides. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:2151.
- Mereghetti L, Quentin R, Marquet-van der Mee N, Audurier A. Low sensitivity of Listeria monocytogenes to quaternary ammonium compounds. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:5083–6.
- McMurry LM, McDermott PF, Levy SB. Genetic evidence that InhA of Mycobacterium smegmatis is a target for triclosan. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43:711–3.
- Heath RJ, Roch CO. A triclosan-resistant bacterial enzyme. Nature. 2000;406:145–6.
- Radosti-Slater C, Aller GV, DeWolf W, Greenwood R, Nicholas R, Payne D, Mode of action of triclosan in S. aureus [abstract]. American Society for Microbiology annual meeting, Los Angeles, California, 2000 May 21-24. Abstract 101, p. 26.
- Meade MJ, Callahan TM. Unique mechanism of triclosan resistance identified in environmental isolates [abstract]. American Society for Microbiology annual meeting, Los Angeles, California, 2000 May 21-24. Abstract 73, p. 19.
- Suzangar S, Allison DG, Gilbert P. An evaluation of biocide-containing materials for their surface colonization-resistance and other properties [abstract] American Society for Microbiology annual meeting, Los Angeles, California, 2000 May 21-24. Abstract 53, p. 17.
- Alekshun MN, Levy SB. The mar regulon: multiple resistance to antibiotics and other toxic insults. Trends Microbiol. 1999;7:410–3.
- Barbosa T, Levy SB. Differential expression of over 60 chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli by constitutive expression of MarA. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:3467–74.
- Chuanchuen R, Beinlich K, Schweizer HP. Multidrug efflux pumps and triclosan resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa [abstract]. American Society for Microbiology annual meeting, Los Angeles, California, 2000 May 21-24. Abstract 31, p. 8.
- Akimitsu N, Hamamoto H, Inoue R, Shoji M, Akamine A, Takemori K, Increase in resistance of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to beta-lactams caused by mutations conferring resistance to benzalkonium chloride, a disinfectant widely used in hospitals. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43:3042–3.
- Strachan DP. Hay fever, hygiene, and household size. BMJ. 1989;299:1259–60.
- Braun-Fahrländer CH, Gassner M, Grize L, Neu U, Sennhauser FH, Varonier HS, Prevalence of hay fever and allergic sensitization in farmer's children and their peers living in the same rural community. Clin Exp Allergy. 1999;29:28–34.
- Rook GAW, Stanford JL. Give us this day our daily germs. Immunol Today. 1998;19:113–6.
- Matricardi PM, Rosmini F, Riondino S, Fortini M, Ferrigno L, Rapicetta M, Exposure to foodborne and orofecal microbes versus airbone viruses in relation to atopy and allergic asthma: epidemiological study. BMJ. 2000;320:412–7.
- Aaby P, Shaheen SO, Heyes CB, Goudiaby A, Hall AJ, Shiell AW, Early BCG vaccination and reduction in atopy in Guinea-Bissau. Clin Exp Allergy. 2000;30:644–50.
- Folkerts G, Walzl G, Openshaw PJM. Do common childhood infections "teach" the immune system not to be allergic? Immunol Today. 2000;21:118–20.
Page created: April 27, 2012
Page updated: April 27, 2012
Page reviewed: April 27, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.