Volume 17, Number 9—September 2011
Multiple Reassortment between Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 and Endemic Influenza Viruses in Pigs, United States
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Outbreak of swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus infection—Mexico, March–April 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:467–70.
- Howden KJ, Brockhoff EJ, Caya FD, McLeod LJ, Lavoie M, Ing JD, An investigation into human pandemic influenza virus (H1N1) 2009 on an Alberta swine farm. Can Vet J. 2009;50:1153–61.
- World Organization for Animal Health. World Animal Health Information Database (WAHID) Interface. Weekly disease information [cited 2010 Jul 14]. http://web.oie.int/wahis/public.php?page=weekly_report_index&admin=0
- Pasma T, Joseph T. Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 infection in swine herds, Manitoba, Canada. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:706–8.
- Pereda A, Cappuccio J, Quiroga MA, Baumeister E, Insarralde L, Ibar M, Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 outbreak on pig farm, Argentina. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:304–7.
- Hofshagen M, Gjerset B, Er C, Tarpai A, Brun E, Dannevig B, Pandemic influenza A(H1N1)v: human to pig transmission in Norway? Euro Surveill. 2009;14:pii:19406.
- Moreno A, Di Trani L, Alborali L, Vaccari G, Barbieri I, Falcone E, First pandemic H1N1 outbreak from a pig farm in Italy. Open Virol J. 2010;4:52–6.
- Nagarajan K, Saikumar G, Arya RS, Gupta A, Somvanshi R, Pattnaik B. Influenza A H1N1 virus in Indian pigs and its genetic relatedness with pandemic human influenza A 2009 H1N1. Indian J Med Res. 2010;132:160–7.
- Vijaykrishna D, Poon LL, Zhu HC, Ma SK, Li OT, Cheung CL, Reassortment of pandemic H1N1/2009 influenza A virus in swine. Science. 2010;328:1529.
- Song MS, Lee JH, Pascua PN, Baek YH, Kwon HI, Park KJ, Evidence of human-to-swine transmission of the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus in South Korea. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:3204–11.
- Sreta D, Tantawet S, Na Ayudhya SN, Thontiravong A, Wongphatcharachai M, Lapkuntod J, Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus on commercial swine farm, Thailand. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:1587–90.
- Brockwell-Staats C, Webster RG, Webby RJ. Diversity of influenza viruses in swine and the emergence of a novel human pandemic influenza A (H1N1). Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2009;3:207–13.
- Zhou NN, Senne DA, Landgraf JS, Swenson SL, Erickson G, Rossow K, Genetic reassortment of avian, swine, and human influenza A viruses in American pigs. J Virol. 1999;73:8851–6.
- Karasin AI, Carman S, Olsen CW. Identification of human H1N2 and human-swine reassortant H1N2 and H1N1 influenza A viruses among pigs in Ontario, Canada (2003 to 2005). J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:1123–6.
- Karasin AI, Olsen CW, Anderson GA. Genetic characterization of an H1N2 influenza virus isolated from a pig in Indiana. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:2453–6.
- Ma W, Gramer M, Rossow K, Yoon KJ. Isolation and genetic characterization of new reassortant H3N1 swine influenza virus from pigs in the midwestern United States. J Virol. 2006;80:5092–6.
- Ma W, Vincent AL, Gramer MR, Brockwell CB, Lager KM, Janke BH, Identification of H2N3 influenza A viruses from swine in the United States. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20949–54.
- Vincent AL, Ma W, Lager KM, Janke BH, Richt JA. Swine influenza viruses a North American perspective. Adv Virus Res. 2008;72:127–54.
- Webby RJ, Rossow K, Erickson G, Sims Y, Webster R. Multiple lineages of antigenically and genetically diverse influenza A virus co-circulate in the United States swine population. Virus Res. 2004;103:67–73.
- Webby RJ, Swenson SL, Krauss SL, Gerrish PJ, Goyal SM, Webster RG. Evolution of swine H3N2 influenza viruses in the United States. J Virol. 2000;74:8243–51.
- Vincent AL, Ma W, Lager KM, Gramer MR, Richt JA, Janke BH. Characterization of a newly emerged genetic cluster of H1N1 and H1N2 swine influenza virus in the United States. Virus Genes. 2009;39:176–85.
- Moreno A, Di Trani L, Faccini S, Vaccari G, Nigrelli D, Boniotti MB, Novel H1N2 swine influenza reassortant strain in pigs derived from the pandemic H1N1/2009 virus. Vet Microbiol. 2011;149:472–7.
- Starick E, Lange E, Fereidouni S, Bunzenthal C, Hoveler R, Kuczka A, Reassorted pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza A virus discovered from pigs in Germany. J Gen Virol. 2011;92:1184–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC protocol of realtime RT-PCR for swine influenza A (H1N1) [cited 2011 Jul 14]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/realtimeptpcr/en/
- Richt JA, Lager KM, Clouser DF, Spackman E, Suarez DL, Yoon KJ. Real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction assays for the detection and differentiation of North American swine influenza viruses. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2004;16:367–73.
- Harmon K, Bower L, Kim WI, Pentella M, Yoon KJ. A matrix gene-based multiplex real-time RT-PCR for detection and differentiation of 2009 pandemic H1N1 and other influenza A viruses in North America. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2010;4:405–10.
- Hause BM, Oleson TA, Bey RF, Stine DL, Simonson RR. Antigenic categorization of contemporary H3N2 swine influenza virus isolates using a high-throughput serum neutralization assay. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2010;22:352–9.
- World Health Organization. WHO manual on animal diagnosis and surveillance. 2002 [cited 2011 Jul 14] http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2002/WHO_CDS_CSR_NCS_2002.5.pdf
- Chan CH, Lin KL, Chan Y, Wang YL, Chi YT, Tu HL, Amplification of the entire genome of influenza A virus H1N1 and H3N2 subtypes by reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction. J Virol Methods. 2006;136:38–43.
- Hall TA. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser. 1999;41:95–8.
- Chenna R, Sugawara H, Koike T, Lopez R, Gibson TJ, Higgins DG, Multiple sequence alignment with the Clustal series of programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:3497–500.
- Kumar S, Tamura K, Jakobsen IB, Nei M. MEGA2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis software. Bioinformatics. 2001;17:1244–5.
- Reuman PD, Keely S, Schiff GM. Assessment of signs of influenza illness in the ferret model. J Virol Methods. 1989;24:27–34.
- Govorkova EA, Rehg JE, Krauss S, Yen HL, Guan Y, Peiris M, Lethality to ferrets of H5N1 influenza viruses isolated from humans and poultry in 2004. J Virol. 2005;79:2191–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: influenza activity—United States, October 3–December 11, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:1651–5.
- Ma W, Lager KM, Vincent AL, Janke BH, Gramer MR, Richt JA. The role of swine in the generation of novel influenza viruses. Zoonoses Public Health. 2009;56:326–37.
- Smith GJ, Vijaykrishna D, Bahl J, Lycett SJ, Worobey M, Pybus OG, Origins and evolutionary genomics of the 2009 swine-origin H1N1 influenza A epidemic. Nature. 2009;459:1122–5.
- Ellebedy AH, Ducatez MF, Duan S, Stigger-Rosser E, Rubrum AM, Govorkova EA, Impact of prior seasonal influenza vaccination and infection on pandemic A(H1N1) influenza virus replication in ferrets. Vaccine. 2011;29:3335–9.
Page created: September 06, 2011
Page updated: September 06, 2011
Page reviewed: September 06, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.