Volume 18, Number 1—January 2012
Molecular Evolution of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Fusion Gene, Canada, 2006–2010
- Nair H, Nokes DJ, Gessner BD, Dherani M, Madhi SA, Singleton RJ, Global burden of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2010;375:1545–55.
- Welliver RC. Review of epidemiology and clinical risk factors for severe respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection. J Pediatr. 2003;143:S112–7.
- Collins PL, Crowe JE. Respiratory syncytial virus and metapneumovirus. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors. Field’s virology.,5th ed. New York: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2007. p. 1601–46.
- Crowe JE, Firestone CY, Crim R, Beeler JA, Coelingh KL, Barbas CF, Monoclonal antibody-resistant mutants selected with a respiratory syncytial virus–neutralizing human antibody fab fragment (Fab 19) define a unique epitope on the fusion (F) glycoprotein. Virology. 1998;252:373–5.
- Huang K, Incognito L, Cheng X, Ulbrandt ND, Wu H. Respiratory syncytial virus–neutralizing monoclonal antibodies motavizumab and palivizumab inhibit fusion. J Virol. 2010;84:8132–40.
- Committee on Infectious Diseases. From the American Academy of Pediatrics: policy statements–modified recommendations for use of palivizumab for prevention of respiratory syncytial virus infections. Pediatrics. 2009;124:1694–701.
- Zhao X, Chen FP, Megaw AG, Sullender WM. Variable resistance to palivizumab in cotton rats by respiratory syncytial virus mutants. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:1941–6.
- Adams O, Bonzel L, Kovacevic A, Mayatepek E, Hoehn T, Vogel M. Palivizumab-resistant human respiratory syncytial virus infection in infancy. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51:185–8.
- Zhu Q, McAuliffe JM, Patel NK, Palmer-Hill FJ, Yang CF, Liang B, Analysis of respiratory syncytial virus preclinical and clinical variants resistant to neutralization by monoclonal antibodies palivizumab and/or motavizumab. J Infect Dis. 2011;203:674–82.
- Kim YK, Choi EH, Lee HJ. Genetic variability of the fusion protein and circulation patterns of genotypes of the respiratory syncytial virus. J Med Virol. 2007;79:820–8.
- Zheng H, Storch GA, Zang C, Peret TC, Park CS, Anderson LJ. Genetic variability in envelope-associated protein genes of closely related group A strains of respiratory syncytial virus. Virus Res. 1999;59:89–99.
- Gilca R, De Serres G, Tremblay M, Vachon ML, Leblanc E, Bergeron MG, Distribution and clinical impact of human respiratory syncytial virus genotypes in hospitalized children over 2 winter seasons. J Infect Dis. 2006;193:54–8.
- Peret TC, Hall CB, Hammond GW, Piedra PA, Storch GA, Sullender WM, Circulation patterns of group A and B human respiratory syncytial virus genotypes in 5 communities in North America. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:1891–6.
- Raymond F, Carbonneau J, Boucher N, Robitaille L, Boisvert S, Wu WK, Comparison of automated microarray detection with real-time PCR assays for detection of respiratory viruses in specimens obtained from children. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:743–50.
- Boivin G, Caouette G, Frenette L, Carbonneau J, Ouakki M, De Serres G. Human respiratory syncytial virus and other viral infections in infants receiving palivizumab. J Clin Virol. 2008;42:52–7.
Page created: December 20, 2011
Page updated: December 20, 2011
Page reviewed: December 20, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.