Volume 18, Number 2—February 2012
Disseminated Infection Caused by Novel Species of Microsporidium, Thailand
- Didier ES. Microsporidiosis: an emerging and opportunistic infection in humans and animals. Acta Trop. 2005;94:61–76.
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:2731–9.
- Margileth AM, Strano AJ, Chandra R, Neafie R, Blum M, McCully RM. Disseminated nosematosis in an immunologically compromised infant. Arch Pathol. 1973;95:145–50.
- Ledford DK, Overman MD, Gonzalvo A, Cali A, Mester SW, Lockey RF. Microsporidiosis myositis in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1985;102:628–30.
- Chupp GL, Alroy J, Adelman LS, Breen JC, Skolnik PR. Myositis due to Pleistophora (Microsporidia) in a patient with AIDS. Clin Infect Dis. 1993;16:15–21.
- Grau A, Valls ME, Williams JE, Ellis DS, Muntane MJ, Nadal C. Myositis caused by Pleistophora in a patient with AIDS. Med Clin (Barc). 1996;107:779–81.
- Hollister WS, Canning EU, Weidner E, Field AS, Kench J, Marriott DJ. Development and ultrastructure of Trachipleistophora hominis n.g., n.sp. after in vitro isolation from an AIDS patient and inoculation into athymic mice. Parasitology. 1996;112:143–54.
- Vávra J, Yachnis AT, Shadduck JA, Orenstein JM. Microsporidia of the genus Trachipleistophora–causative agents of human microsporidiosis: description of Trachipleistophora anthropophthera n.sp. (Protozoa: Microsporidia.). J Eukaryot Microbiol. 1998;45:273–83.
- Cali A, Takvorian PM, Lewin S, Rendel M, Sian CS, Wittner M, Brachiola vesicularum, n.g., n.sp., a new microsporidium associated with AIDS and myositis. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 1998;45:240–51.
- Coyle CM, Weiss LM, Rhodes LV III, Cali A, Takvorian PM, Brown DF, Fatal myositis due to the microsporidian Brachiola algerae, a mosquito pathogen. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:42–7.
- Curry A, Beeching NJ, Gilbert JD, Scott G, Rowland PL, Currie BJ. Trachipleistophora hominis infection in the myocardium and skeletal muscle of a patient with AIDS. J Infect. 2005;51:e139–44.
- Choudhary MM, Metcalfe MG, Arrambide K, Bern C, Visvesvara GS, Pieniazek NJ, Tubulinosema sp. microsporidian myositis in immunosuppressed patient. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1727–30.
- Sodqi M, Brazille P, Gonzalez-Canali G, Cornet M, Piketty C, Weiss L. Unusual pulmonary Enterocytozoon bieneusi microsporidiosis in an AIDS patient: case report and review. Scand J Infect Dis. 2004;36:230–1.
- Pariyakanok L, Jongwutiwes S. Keratitis caused by Trachipleistophora anthropophthera. J Infect. 2005;51:325–8.
- Vávra J, Kamler M, Modry D, Koudela B. Opportunistic nature of the mammalian microsporidia: experimental transmission of Trachipleistophora extenrec (Fungi: Microsporidia) between mammalian and insect hosts. Parasitol Res. 2011;108:1565–73.
Page created: January 09, 2012
Page updated: January 10, 2012
Page reviewed: January 10, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.