Volume 18, Number 3—March 2012
A Systematic Approach for Discovering Novel, Clinically Relevant Bacteria
- Woo PC, Lau SK, Teng JL, Tse H, Yuen KY. Then and now: use of 16S rDNA gene sequencing for bacterial identification and discovery of novel bacteria in clinical microbiology laboratories. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2008;14:908–34.
- Relman DA, Loutit JS, Schmidt TM, Falkow S, Tompkins LS. The agent of bacillary angiomatosis. An approach to the identification of uncultured pathogens. N Engl J Med. 1990;323:1573–80.
- Relman DA, Schmidt TM, MacDermott RP, Falkow S. Identification of the uncultured bacillus of Whipple’s disease. N Engl J Med. 1992;327:293–301.
- Wilson KH, Blitchington R, Frothingham R, Wilson JA. Phylogeny of the Whipple’s-disease-associated bacterium. Lancet. 1991;338:474–5.
- Tringe SG, Hugenholtz P. A renaissance for the pioneering 16S rRNA gene. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2008;11:442–6.
- National Institutes of Health. Human Microbiome Project. Program initiatives [cited 2011 Apr 9]. http://commonfund.nih.gov/hmp/initiatives.aspx#reference
- Pace NR. A molecular view of microbial diversity and the biosphere. Science. 1997;276:734–40.
- Pace NR. Mapping the tree of life: progress and prospects. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2009;73:565–76.
- Yarza P, Richter M, Peplies J, Euzeby J, Amann R, Schleifer KH, The All-Species Living Tree project: a 16S rRNA-based phylogenetic tree of all sequenced type strains. Syst Appl Microbiol. 2008;31:241–50.
- Clarridge JE III. Impact of 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis for identification of bacteria on clinical microbiology and infectious diseases. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2004;17:840–62.
- Petti CA. Detection and identification of microorganisms by gene amplification and sequencing. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:1108–14.
- Drancourt M, Raoult D. Sequence-based identification of new bacteria: a proposition for creation of an orphan bacterium repository. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:4311–5.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. BLAST nucleotide database [cited 2012 Jan 23]. ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db
- Petti CA, Bosshard PP, Brandt ME, Clarridge JE, Feldblyum TV, Foxall P, Interpretive criteria for identification of bacteria and fungi by DNA target sequencing; approved guidelines. Wayne (PA): Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute; 2008.
- Stackebrandt E, Goebel BM. Taxonomic note: a place for DNA-DNA reassociation and 16S rRNA sequence analysis in the present species definition in bacteriology. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1994;44:846–9.
- Fraser C, Alm EJ, Polz MF, Spratt BG, Hanage WP. The bacterial species challenge: making sense of genetic and ecological diversity. Science. 2009;323:741–6.
- Keswani J, Whitman WB. Relationship of 16S rRNA sequence similarity to DNA hybridization in prokaryotes. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:667–78.
- Palys T, Nakamura LK, Cohan FM. Discovery and classification of ecological diversity in the bacterial world: the role of DNA sequence data. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1997;47:1145–56.
- Drancourt M, Bollet C, Carlioz A, Martelin R, Gayral JP, Raoult D. 16S ribosomal DNA sequence analysis of a large collection of environmental and clinical unidentifiable bacterial isolates. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:3623–30.
- Fox GE, Wisotzkey JD, Jurtshuk P Jr. How close is close: 16S rRNA sequence identity may not be sufficient to guarantee species identity. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1992;42:166–70.
- Bosshard PP, Abels S, Zbinden R, Bottger EC, Altwegg M. Ribosomal DNA sequencing for identification of aerobic gram-positive rods in the clinical laboratory (an 18-month evaluation). J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:4134–40.
- Drancourt M, Berger P, Raoult D. Systematic 16S rRNA gene sequencing of atypical clinical isolates identified 27 new bacterial species associated with humans. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:2197–202.
- Stackebrandt E, Ebers J. Taxonomic parameters revisited: tarnished gold standards. Microbiology Today. November 2006. p. 152–5.
- Simmon KE, Croft AC, Petti CA. Application of SmartGene IDNS software to partial 16S rRNA gene sequences for a diverse group of bacteria in a clinical laboratory. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:4400–6.
- Simmon KE, Hall L, Woods CW, Marco F, Miro JM, Cabell C, Phylogenetic analysis of viridans group streptococci causing endocarditis. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:3087–90.
- Versalovic J; American Society for Microbiology. Manual of clinical microbiology. 10th ed. Washington: ASM Press; 2011. p. 443–71.
- Cock PJ, Antao T, Chang JT, Chapman BA, Cox CJ, Dalke A, Biopython: freely available Python tools for computational molecular biology and bioinformatics. Bioinformatics. 2009;25:1422–3.
- DSMZ. Bacterial nomenclature up-to-date (approved lists, validation lists) [cited 2012 Jan 23]. http://www.dsmz.de/bacterial-diversity/bacterial-nomenclature-up-to-date.html
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:1596–9.
- Yarza P, Ludwig W, Euzeby J, Amann R, Schleifer KH, Glockner FO, Update of the All-Species Living Tree Project based on 16S and 23S rRNA sequence analyses. Syst Appl Microbiol. 2010;33:291–9.
- Euzeby JP. List of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. 2010 [cited 2012 Jan 23]. http://www.bacterio.cict.fr/
- von Jan M, Riegger N, Pötter G, Schumann P, Verbarg S, Spröer C, Kroppenstedtia eburnea gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel thermoactinomycete isolated by environmental screening, and emended description of the family Thermoactinomycetaceae Matsuo et al. 2006 emend. Yassin et al. 2009. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2011;61:2304–10.
- Coenye T, Vandamme P. Intragenomic heterogeneity between multiple 16S ribosomal RNA operons in sequenced bacterial genomes. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;228:45–9.
- Pei AY, Oberdorf WE, Nossa CW, Agarwal A, Chokshi P, Gerz EA, Diversity of 16S rRNA genes within individual prokaryotic genomes. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:3886–97.
- Keller PM, Rampini SK, Buchler AC, Eich G, Wanner RM, Speck RF, Recognition of potentially novel human disease-associated pathogens by implementation of systematic 16S rRNA gene sequencing in the diagnostic laboratory. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:3397–402.
- Stackebrandt E, Frederiksen W, Garrity GM, Grimont PA, Kampfer P, Maiden MC, Report of the ad hoc committee for the re-evaluation of the species definition in bacteriology. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2002;52:1043–7.
- Christensen H, Bisgaard M, Frederiksen W, Mutters R, Kuhnert P, Olsen JE. Is characterization of a single isolate sufficient for valid publication of a new genus or species? Proposal to modify recommendation 30b of the Bacteriological Code (1990 revision). Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:2221–5.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: February 16, 2012
Page updated: February 16, 2012
Page reviewed: February 16, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.