Volume 19, Number 2—February 2013
CME ACTIVITY - Synopsis
Eastern Equine Encephalitis in Children, Massachusetts and New Hampshire,USA, 1970–2010
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Eastern equine encephalitis—New Hampshire and Massachusetts, August–September 2005.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55:697–700 .
- Calisher CH. Medically important arboviruses of the United States and Canada.Clin Microbiol Rev. 1994;7:89–116 .
- Deresiewicz RL, Thaler SJ, Hsu L, Zamani AA. Clinical and neuroradiographic manifestations of eastern equine encephalitis.N Engl J Med. 1997;336:1867–74.
- Przelomski MM, O'Rourke E, Grady GF, Berardi VP, Markley HG. Eastern equine encephalitis in Massachusetts: a report of 16 cases, 1970–1984.Neurology. 1988;38:736–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Eastern equine encephalitis: epidemiology and geographic distribution [cited 2012 Sept 25]. http://www.cdc.gov/EasternEquineEncephalitis/tech/epi.html#moremapschartstables
- Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE). Department of Health: information for a healthy New York [cited 2012 Oct 1]. http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/eastern_equine_encephalitis/fact_sheet.htm
- Health and Human Services. Massachusetts. Massachusetts arbovirus surveillance: humans [cited 2012 Sept 25]. http://westnile.ashtonweb.com/index42.asp
- Vermont.gov—the official state website. News releases. Health commissioner confirms second death from EEE [cited 2012 Sept 25]. http://www.vermont.gov/portal/government/article.php?news=3834
- Gibney KB, Robinson S, Mutebi JP, Hoenig DE, Bernier BJ, Webber L, Eastern equine encephalitis: an emerging arboviral disease threat, Maine.Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2011;11:637–9.
- Eastern equine encephalitis—Canada (03) (Nova Scotia). ProMed. 2009 Nov 3. http://www.promedmail.org, archive no. 20091105.3826.
- Feemster RF. Outbreak of encephalitis in man due to the eastern virus of equine encephalomyelitis.Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1938;28:1403–10.
- Farber S, Hill A, Connerly ML, Dingle JH. Encephalitis in infants and children caused by the virus of the eastern variety of equine encephalitis.JAMA. 1940;114:1725–31.
- Letson GW, Bailey RE, Pearson J, Tsai TF. Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE): a description of the 1989 outbreak, recent epidemiologic trends, and the association of rainfall with EEE occurrence.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1993;49:677–85 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Arboviral diseases, neuroinvasive and non-neuroinvasive; 2011 case definition [cited 2011 Sept 28]. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/NNDSS/beta/bcasedef.aspx?CondYrID=616&DatePub=1/1/2011 12:00:00 AM
- Levitt LP, Lovejoy FHJr, Daniels JB. Eastern equine encephalitis in Massachusetts—first human case in 14 years.N Engl J Med. 1971;284:540.
- Fiser DH. Assessing the outcome of pediatric intensive care.J Pediatr. 1992;121:68–74.
- Fothergill LD, Dingle JH, Farber S, Connerly ML. Human encephalitis caused by the virus of the eastern variety of equine encephalomyelitis.N Engl J Med. 1938;219:411.
- Barnett GH, Ropper AH, Romeo J. Intracranial pressure and outcome in adult encephalitis.J Neurosurg. 1988;68:585–8.
- Shetty R, Singhi S, Singhi P, Jayashree M. Cerebral perfusion pressure—targeted approach in children with central nervous system infections and raised intracranial pressure: is it feasible?J Child Neurol. 2008;23:192–8.
- Di Rienzo A, Iacoangeli M, Rychlicki F, Veccia S, Scerrati M. Decompressive craniectomy for medically refractory intracranial hypertension due to meningoencephalitis: report of three patients.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2008;150:1057–65.
- González Rabelino GA, Fons C, Rey A, Roussos I, Campistol J. Craniectomy in herpetic encephalitis.Pediatr Neurol. 2008;39:201–3.
- Golomb MR, Durand ML, Schaefer PW, McDonald CT, Maia M, Schwamm LH. A case of immunotherapy-responsive eastern equine encephalitis with diffusion-weighted imaging.Neurology. 2001;56:420–1.
- Lury KM, Castillo M. Eastern equine encephalitis: CT and MRI findings in one case.Emerg Radiol. 2004;11:46–8.
- Morse RP, Bennish ML, Darras BT. Eastern equine encephalitis presenting with a focal brain lesion.Pediatr Neurol. 1992;8:473–5.
- Kalita J, Misra UK. Comparison of CT scan and MRI findings in the diagnosis of Japanese encephalitis.J Neurol Sci. 2000;174:3–8.
- Kim JH, Booss J, Manuelidis EE, Duncan CC. Human eastern equine encephalitis. Electron microscopic study of a brain biopsy.Am J Clin Pathol. 1985;84:223–7 .
- Garen PD, Tsai TF, Powers JM. Human eastern equine encephalitis: immunohistochemistry and ultrastructure.Mod Pathol. 1999;12:646–52 .
Page created: January 17, 2013
Page updated: January 17, 2013
Page reviewed: January 17, 2013
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.