Volume 20, Number 10—October 2014
Malaria Control and Elimination,1 Venezuela, 1800s–1970s
|Spleen index or spleen rate||Point prevalence of persons with a palpably enlarged spleen (splenomegaly), which is strongly associated with malaria in many countries, including India and Venezuela. Although this term is not an exact measurement of malaria infection, it is considered an indicative public health measurement in tropical countries. The reference measurement in Venezuela was 5%, where malaria was not present (1).|
|Endemicity ratio||Lowest spleen index observed in a 5-year period divided by 5, which is the assumed reference value for this index. This ratio was complemented by the ratio of epidemicity, in which the numerator was replaced by the greatest spleen index over a 5-year period (2,4).|
|Index of infection||Prevalence of persons with malaria infection as determined by existing measurements, such as spleen indexes or blood smears.|
- Gabaldón A. Malaria eradication in Venezuela: doctrine, practice, and achievements after twenty years. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1983;32:203–11 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gabaldón A, Berti AL. The first large area in the tropical zone to report malaria eradication: north-central Venezuela. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1954;3:793–807 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gabaldón A. The nation-wide campaign against malaria in Venezuela. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1949;43:113–64. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gabaldón A. The reasons for endemicity and epidemicity: two new measures of interest for malaria metrics [in Spanish]. Tijeretazos Sobre Malaria. 1946;10:156–60.
- Sinka ME, Rubio-Palis Y, Manguin S, Patil AP, Temperley WH, Gething PW, The dominant Anopheles vectors of human malaria in the Americas: occurrence data, distribution maps and bionomic précis. Parasit Vectors. 2010;3:72.
- Bouma MJ, Dye C. Cycles of malaria associated with El Niño in Venezuela. JAMA. 1997;278:1772–4. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gabaldón A, Guerrero L, Balestrini C, Martin B, Grossi R, Maberti S, An attempt to eradicate malaria by the weekly administration of pyrimethamine in areas of out-of-doors transmission in Venezuela. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1959;8:433–9 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pan American Health Organization. Status of malaria programs in the Americas. XXXIX report. Washington (DC). Organization. 1991.
- Franco Agudelo S. Malaria in Latin America [in Spanish]. Guadalajara (Mexico): Editorial Universidad de Guadalajara; 1990.
- Botello O. Malaria and other illnesses in Ortiz in the period 1880–1885 [in Spanish] [cited 2013 Apr 4]. http://fuegocotidiano.blogspot.com/2012/09/el-paludismo-y-otros-morbos-en-ortiz-en.html
- Rodriguez Memione V. Sixty years after the application of DDT in the fight against malaria in Venezuela [in Spanish]. Revista de la Sociedad Venezolana de Microbiologia. 2005;25:61.
- Martin-Frechilla JJ. The Venezuelan sanitation authority and the incorporation of physicians exiled from the Spanish Civil War [in Spanish]. Hist Cienc Saude Manguinhos. 2008;15:519–41. DOIGoogle Scholar
- Vincent G. The Rockefeller Foundation annual report. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation; 1927.
- Vincent G. The Rockefeller Foundation annual report. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation; 1928.
- Benarroch EI. Studies on malaria in Venezuela. Am J Epidemiol. 1931;14:690–3.
- Franco-Agudelo S. The Rockefeller Foundation’s Antimalarial Program in Latin America: donating or dominating? Int J Health Serv. 1983;13:51–67. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Colmenares GY. The impact of malaria on Venezuela and the organization of the Special Directorate for Malariology in 1936 [in Spanish]. Tribuna de Investigador. 1995;2:16–26.
- Gabaldón L. Outline of public health in Venezuela [in Spanish]. Bol Oficina Sanit Panam. 1941;20:1311.
- Gómez H, Kastner G, De Pieretti CV. Assessment of Venezuelan health services from a social development perspective. Soc Sci Med. 1985;21:23–30. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Congreso. Ley de defensa contra el paludismo. 1936 [cited 2013 Oct 23]. http://docs.venezuela.justia.com/federales/leyes/ley-de-defensa-contra-el-paludismo.pdf
- Petralanda I, Delgado L. Malaria in Venezuela: stabilization of malaria foci and control of disease outbeaks [in Spanish]. Revista de la Facultad de Ingeniería de la Universidad Central de Venezuela. 2005;19:21–9.
- Velásquez A. Theoretical and epidemiological foundations of a pharmacovigilance system in the State of Bolivar, Venezuela [in Spanish]. Revista Peruana de Epidemología. 1996;9:5–7.
- Barnard C. The Rockefeller Foundation annual report. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation; 1951.
- Fosdick R. The Rockefeller Foundation annual report. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation; 1946.
- Fosdick R. The Rockefeller Foundation annual report. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation; 1947.
- Packard RM. The making of a tropical disease: a short history of malaria. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press; 2007.
- Barata RB. Technologic organization of malaria control in São Paulo, Brazil, 1930–1990. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 1998;3:102–10. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Litsios S. Arnoldo Gabaldón’s independent path for malaria control and public health in the tropics: a lost paradigm for WHO. Parassitologia. 1998;40:231–8 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gabaldón A. The time required to reach eradication in relation to malaria constitution. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1956;5:966–76 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gómez Mendoza I. Report of the journey carried out to observe program use of antimalarials in the campaign for the eradication of malaria in the Republic of Venezuela [in Spanish]. Comision Nacional para la Erradicacion del Paludismo Boletin. 1960;4:74–81.
- World Health Organization. Status of malaria eradication during the six months ended 30 June 1965. Weekly Epidemiological Record, 1 April, 1966 [cited 2013 Oct 23]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/wer/WHO_WER_1966/WER1966_41_157-180%20(N%C2%B013).pdf
- WHO Expert Committee on Malaria. Fifteenth report. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 1971;467:1–59 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Alberto Restrepo M, Gutiérrez E. The frequency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in Colombia. Am J Hum Genet. 1968;20:82–5 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cáceres G, Luis J. Epidemiological situation of malaria in Venezuela: year 2009 [ in Spanish]. Boletin de Malariologia y Salud Ambiental. 2010;50:271–82.
- Pan American Health Organization. Status of malaria programs in the Americas. XXXVI report [in Spanish]. Washington (DC). Organization. 1988.
- Gabaldón A, Guia de Perez G. Mortality from malaria in Venezuela [in Spanish]. Tijeretazos Sobre Malaria. 1946;10:191–237.
1During much of the period reported in this paper, the historically accurate term was eradication.