Volume 21, Number 12—December 2015
Japanese Macaques (Macaca fuscata) as Natural Reservoir of Bartonella quintana
- Foucault C, Brouqui P, Raoult D. Bartonella quintana characteristics and clinical management. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:217–23 .
- Deng H, Le Rhun D, Buffet JP, Cotte V, Read A, Birtles RJ, Strategies of exploitation of mammalian reservoirs by Bartonella species. Vet Res. 2012;43:15.
- O’Rourke LG, Pitulle C, Hegarty BC, Kraycirik S, Killary KA, Grosenstein P, Bartonella quintana in cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis). Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1931–4.
- Maggi RG, Mascarelli PE, Balakrishnan N, Rohde CM, Kelly CM, Ramaiah L, “Candidatus Mycoplasma haemomacaque” and Bartonella quintana bacteremia in cynomolgus monkeys. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:1408–11.
- Huang R, Liu Q, Li G, Li D, Song X, Birtles RJ, Bartonella quintana infections in captive monkeys, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1707–9.
- Li H, Bai JY, Wang LY, Zeng L, Shi YS, Qiu ZL, Genetic diversity of Bartonella quintana in macaques suggests zoonotic origin of trench fever. Mol Ecol. 2013;22:2118–27.
- Fooden J, Aimi M. Systematic review of Japanese macaques, Macaca fuscata (Gray, 1870). Fieldiana Zoology. 2005;104:1–198.
- Zhang P, Chomel BB, Schau MK, Goo JS, Droz S, Kelminson KL, A family of variably expressed outer-membrane proteins (Vomp) mediates adhesion and autoaggregation in Bartonella quintana. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:13630–5 .
- Norman AF, Regnery R, Jameson P, Greene C, Krause DC. Differentiation of Bartonella-like isolates at the species level by PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism in the citrate synthase gene. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:1797–803 .
- Kabeya H, Inoue K, Izumi Y, Morita T, Imai S, Maruyama S. Bartonella species in wild rodents and fleas from them in Japan. J Vet Med Sci. 2011;73:1561–7.
- Roux V, Raoult D. The 16S–23S rRNA intergenic spacer region of Bartonella (Rochalimaea) species is longer than usually described in other bacteria. Gene. 1995;156:107–11.
- Arvand M, Raoult D, Feil EJ. Multi-locus sequence typing of a geographically and temporally diverse sample of the highly clonal human pathogen Bartonella quintana. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9765.
- Tamura K, Stecher G, Peterson D, Filipski A, Kumar S. MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:2725–9.
- Chomel BB, Boulouis HJ, Breitschwerdt EB, Kasten RW, Vayssier-Taussat M, Birtles RJ, Ecological fitness and strategies of adaptation of Bartonella species to their hosts and vectors. Vet Res. 2009;40:29.
- Bittar F, Keita MB, Lagier JC, Peeters M, Delaporte E, Raoult D. Gorilla gorilla gorilla gut: a potential reservoir of pathogenic bacteria as revealed using culturomics and molecular tools. Sci Rep. 2014;4:7174.
Page created: November 17, 2015
Page updated: November 17, 2015
Page reviewed: November 17, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.