Volume 21, Number 8—August 2015
Estimates of Outbreak Risk from New Introductions of Ebola with Immediate and Delayed Transmission Control
|Case-patients||Year and month||Country||Circumstance of infection||No. transmissions|
|1||2014 Jul||Nigeria||Imported by traveler||13|
|2–4||2014 Jul–Aug||Nigeria||Locally acquired||1|
|5–19||2014 Jul–Aug||Nigeria||Locally acquired||0|
|21–23||2014/Aug||Spain, United Kingdom, Germany||Evacuated||0|
|24||2014/Aug||Senegal||Imported by traveler||0|
|29||2014/Sep||United States||Imported by traveler||2|
|31–32||2014/Oct||United States||Locally acquired||0|
|37||2014/Oct||United States||Imported by traveler||0|
|38||2014/Oct||Mali||Imported by traveler||0|
|42||2014/Nov||Mali||Imported by traveler||5|
|50–52||2014/Nov||United States, Switzerland, Italy||Evacuated||0|
|54||2014/Dec||United Kingdom||Imported by traveler||0|
|55–56||2015/Mar||United Kingdom, United States||Evacuated||0|
- Baize S, Pannetier D, Oestereich L, Rieger T, Koivogui L, Magassouba N, Emergence of Zaire Ebola virus disease in Guinea. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:1418–25.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa—outbreak distribution map. 2015 Apr 17 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/distribution-map.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Outbreaks chronology: Ebola virus disease. 2015 Apr 24 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/history/chronology.html
- Gomes MFC, Postore y Piontti A, Rossi L, Chao D, Longini I, Halloran ME, Assessing the international spreading risk associated with the 2014 West African Ebola outbreak. PLoS Curr Outbreaks. 2014 Sep 2. Edition 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/currents.outbreaks.cd818f63d40e24aef769dda7df9e0da5
- Fasina FO, Shittu A, Lazarus D, Tomori O, Simonsen L, Viboud C, Transmission dynamics and control of Ebola virus disease outbreak in Nigeria, July to September 2014. Euro Surveill. 2014;19:20920.
- Shuaib F, Gunnala R, Musa EO, Mahoney FJ, Oguntimehin O, Nguku PM, Ebola virus disease outbreak—Nigeria, July–September 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:867–72.
- McCarty CL, Basler C, Karwowski M, Erme M, Nixon G, Kippes C, Response to importation of a case of Ebola virus disease—Ohio, October 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1089–91.
- Chevalier MS, Chung W, Smith J, Weil LM, Hughes SM, Joyner SN, Ebola virus disease cluster in the United States—Dallas County, Texas, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1087–8.
- World Health Organization. Mali: details of the additional cases of Ebola virus disease. 2014 Nov 20 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/20-november-2014-mali/en/
- World Health Organization. Mali confirms 2 new cases of Ebola virus disease. 2014 Nov 25 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/25-november-2014-mali/en/
- World Health Organization. Mali case, Ebola imported from Guinea. 2014 Nov 10 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/10-november-2014-mali/en/
- Mirkovic K, Thwing J, Diack PA. Importation and containment of Ebola virus disease— Senegal, August–September 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:873–4.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cases of Ebola diagnosed in the United States. 2014 Dec 16 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/united-states-imported-case.html
- Jenkins L. Nurse who contracted Ebola released from hospital. 2015 Jan 24 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/24/ebola-pauline-cafferkey-recovery-discharge
- Public Health England. Ebola virus disease epidemiological update: no. 32. 2015 Apr 24 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423997/EVD_Epidemiological_Update_24_April.pdf.
- Gulland A. Spanish authorities investigate how nurse contracted Ebola. BMJ. 2014;349:g6120.
- Szabo L. Costs of responding to Ebola adding up. 2014 Nov 25 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/25/ebola-costs-add-up/19346913/
- Rainisch G, Asher J, George D, Clay M, Smith TL, Cosmos K, Estimating Ebola treatment needs, United States [letter]. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015 Jul [cited 2015 Apr 27].
- Farrington CP, Grant AD. The distribution of time to extinction in subcritical branching processes: applications to outbreaks of infectious disease. J Appl Probab. 1999;36:771–9.
- Becker N. On parametric estimation for mortal branching processes. Biometrika. 1974;61:393–9.
- Nishiura H, Yan P, Sleeman CK, Mode CJ. Estimating the transmission potential of supercritical processes based on the final size distribution of minor outbreaks. J Theor Biol. 2012;294:48–55.
- Blumberg S, Lloyd-Smith JO. Inference of R0 and transmission heterogeneity from the size distribution of stuttering chains. PLOS Comput Biol. 2013;9:e1002993.
- Ferguson NM, Fraser C, Donnelly CA, Ghani AC, Anderson RM. Public health risk from the avian H5N1 influenza epidemic. Science. 2004;304:968–9.
- Jansen VAA, Stollenwerk N, Jensen HJ, Ramsay ME, Edmunds WJ, Rhodes CJ. Measles outbreaks in a population with declining vaccine uptake. Science. 2003;301:804.
- Lloyd-Smith JO, Schreiber SJ, Kopp PE, Getz WM. Superspreading and the effect of individual variation on disease emergence. Nature. 2005;438:355–9.
- DiCiccio T, Efron B. Bootstrap confidence intervals. Stat Sci. 1996;11:189–228 .
- Arnold TB, Emerson JW. Nonparametric goodness-of-fit tests for discrete null distributions. R J. 2011;3/2:34–9.
- Consul PC, Shenton LR. Use of Lagrange expansion for generating discrete generalized probability distributions. SIAM J Appl Math. 1972;23:239–48.
- Consul PC, Famoye F. Lagrangian probability distributions. Boston: Birkhauser; 2006.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim guidance for U.S. hospital preparedness for patients under investigation (PUIs) or with confirmed Ebola virus disease (EVD): a framework for a tiered approach. 2015 Feb 20 [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/us-hospital-preparedness.html
- Althaus CL. Ebola superspreading: the real lessons from HIV scale-up. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:507–8.
- Faye O, Boelle P, Heleze E, Faye O, Loucoubar C, Magassouba N, Chains of transmission and control of Ebola virus disease in Conakry, Guinea, in 2014: an observational study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:320–6.
- Bogoch II, Creatore MI, Cetron MS, Brownstein JS, Pesik N, Miniota J, Assessment of the potential for international dissemination of Ebola virus via commercial air travel during the 2014 west African outbreak. Lancet. 2015;385:29–35.
- Rainisch G, Shankar M, Wellman M, Merlin T, Meltzer MI. Regional spread of Ebola virus, West Africa, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:444–7.
- Chowell D, Castillo-Chavez C, Krishna S, Qiu X, Anderson KS. Modelling the effect of early detection of Ebola. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:148–9.
Page created: July 14, 2015
Page updated: July 14, 2015
Page reviewed: July 14, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.