Volume 24, Number 2—February 2018
Development of a Pediatric Ebola Predictive Score, Sierra Leone1
- World Health Organization. Ebola data and statistics. 2016. http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.ebola-sitrep.quick-downloads?lang=en
- Johnson O, Youkee D, Brown CS, Lado M, Wurie A, Bash-Taqi D, et al. Ebola Holding Units at government hospitals in Sierra Leone: evidence for a flexible and effective model for safe isolation, early treatment initiation, hospital safety and health system functioning. BMJ Glob Health. 2016;1:e000030.
- Lado M, Walker NF, Baker P, Haroon S, Brown CS, Youkee D, et al. Clinical features of patients isolated for suspected Ebola virus disease at Connaught Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:1024–33.
- Fitzgerald F, Naveed A, Wing K, Gbessay M, Ross JC, Checchi F, et al. Ebola virus disease in children, Sierra Leone, 2014–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:1769–77.
- Brown C, Kessete Q, Baker P, Youkee D, Walker N, Kamara TB, et al. Bottlenecks in health systems functioning for control of Ebola virus disease in Connaught Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone. Poster presented at: 26th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases; Amsterdam, the Netherlands; 2016 Apr 9–12. Poster P0092.
- Zachariah R, Harries AD. The WHO clinical case definition for suspected cases of Ebola virus disease arriving at Ebola holding units: reason to worry? Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:989–90.
- Fitzpatrick G, Vogt F, Moi Gbabai O, Black B, Santantonio M, Folkesson E, et al. Describing readmissions to an Ebola case management centre (CMC), Sierra Leone, 2014. Euro Surveill. 2014;19:20924.
- Fitzgerald F, Awonuga W, Shah T, Youkee D. Ebola response in Sierra Leone: The impact on children. J Infect. 2016;72(Suppl):S6–12.
- World Health Organization. Clinical management of patients in the Ebola treatment centers and other care centers in Sierra Leone: a pocket guide. Interim emergency guidelines. Sierra Leone adaptation. December 2014 [cited 2017 Dec 12]. https://extranet.who.int/ebolafmt/content/clinical-management-patients-ebola-treatment-centres-and-other-care-centres-sierra-leone
- Fitzgerald F, Wing K, Naveed A, Gbessay M, Ross JCG, Checchi F, et al. Risk in the “red zone”: outcomes for children admitted to Ebola holding units in Sierra Leone without Ebola virus disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;65:162–5.
- Royston P, Moons KG, Altman DG, Vergouwe Y. Prognosis and prognostic research: developing a prognostic model. BMJ. 2009;338(mar31 1):b604.
- George EC, Walker AS, Kiguli S, Olupot-Olupot P, Opoka RO, Engoru C, et al. Predicting mortality in sick African children: the FEAST Paediatric Emergency Triage (PET) Score. BMC Med. 2015;13:174.
- Sterne JA, White IR, Carlin JB, Spratt M, Royston P, Kenward MG, et al. Multiple imputation for missing data in epidemiological and clinical research: potential and pitfalls. BMJ. 2009;338(jun29 1):b2393.
- Hosmer DW, Lemeshow S, Sturdivant RX. Applied logistic regression. 3rd edition. New York: John Wiley and Sons; 2013.
- Shah T, Greig J, van der Plas LM, Achar J, Caleo G, Squire JS, et al. Inpatient signs and symptoms and factors associated with death in children aged 5 years and younger admitted to two Ebola management centres in Sierra Leone, 2014: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Glob Health. 2016;4:e495–501.
- Pittalis S, Fusco FM, Lanini S, Nisii C, Puro V, Lauria FN, et al. Case definition for Ebola and Marburg haemorrhagic fevers: a complex challenge for epidemiologists and clinicians. New Microbiol. 2009;32:359–67.
- Hartley MA, Young A, Tran AM, Okoni-Williams HH, Suma M, Mancuso B, et al. Predicting Ebola infection: A malaria-sensitive triage score for Ebola virus disease. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005356.
- Loubet P, Palich R, Kojan R, Peyrouset O, Danel C, Nicholas S, et al. Development of a prediction model for Ebola virus disease: a retrospective study in Nzérékoré Ebola treatment center, Guinea. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016;95:1362–7.
- Smit MA, Michelow IC, Glavis-Bloom J, Wolfman V, Levine AC. Characteristics and outcomes of pediatric patients with Ebola virus disease admitted to treatment units in Liberia and Sierra Leone: a retrospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64:243–9.
- Gao X, Rong G, Lu Y, Duan X, Duan H. Symptoms closely associated with Ebola virus disease. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016;16:18–9.
- Vogt F, Fitzpatrick G, Patten G, van den Bergh R, Stinson K, Pandolfi L, et al. Assessment of the MSF triage system, separating patients into different wards pending Ebola virus laboratory confirmation, Kailahun, Sierra Leone, July to September 2014. Euro Surveill. 2015;20:26727011.
- Levine AC, Shetty PP, Burbach R, Cheemalapati S, Glavis-Bloom J, Wiskel T, et al. Derivation and internal validation of the Ebola prediction score for risk stratification of patients with suspected Ebola virus disease. Ann Emerg Med. 2015;66:285–293.e1.
- Arranz J, Lundeby KM, Hassan S, Zabala Fuentes LM, San José Garcés P, Haaskjold YL, et al. Clinical features of suspected Ebola cases referred to the Moyamba ETC, Sierra Leone: challenges in the later stages of the 2014 outbreak. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:308.
- Agua-Agum J, Ariyarajah A, Blake IM, Cori A, Donnelly CA, Dorigatti I, et al.; WHO Ebola Response Team. Ebola virus disease among children in West Africa. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:1274–7.
- Broadhurst MJ, Kelly JD, Miller A, Semper A, Bailey D, Groppelli E, et al. ReEBOV Antigen Rapid Test kit for point-of-care and laboratory-based testing for Ebola virus disease: a field validation study. Lancet. 2015;386:867–74.
- Walker NF, Brown CS, Youkee D, Baker P, Williams N, Kalawa A, et al. Evaluation of a point-of-care blood test for identification of Ebola virus disease at Ebola holding units, Western Area, Sierra Leone, January to February 2015. Euro Surveill. 2015;20:25846490.
- Nouvellet P, Garske T, Mills HL, Nedjati-Gilani G, Hinsley W, Blake IM, et al. The role of rapid diagnostics in managing Ebola epidemics. Nature. 2015;528:S109–16.
1Preliminary results from this study were presented at the 26th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Amsterdam, Netherlands, April 9–12, 2016; and the 34th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Brighton, UK, May 10–14, 2016.
2These authors contributed equally to this article.