Volume 24, Number 2—February 2018
New Parvovirus Associated with Serum Hepatitis in Horses after Inoculation of Common Biological Product
- Theiler A. Acute liver atrophy and parenchymatous hepatitis in horses. Reports of the Director of Veterinary Research. 1918;5&6:7–99.
- Marsh H. Losses of undetermined cause following an outbreak of equine encephalomyelitis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1937;91:88–93.
- Hjerpe CA. Serum hepatitis in the horse. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1964;144:734–40.
- Rose JA, Immenschuh RD, Rose EM. Serum hepatitis in the horse. Proceedings of the Twentieth Annual Conference of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. Lexington (KY): American Association of Equine Practitioners; 1974. p. 175–85.
- Thomsett LR. Acute hepatic failure in the horse. Equine Vet J. 1971;3:15–9.
- Step DL, Blue JT, Dill SG. Penicillin-induced hemolytic anemia and acute hepatic failure following treatment of tetanus in a horse. Cornell Vet. 1991;81:13–8.
- Messer NT IV, Johnson PJ. Idiopathic acute hepatic disease in horses: 12 cases (1982-1992). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1994;204:1934–7.
- Guglick MA, MacAllister CG, Ely RW, Edwards WC. Hepatic disease associated with administration of tetanus antitoxin in eight horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1995;206:1737–40.
- Chandriani S, Skewes-Cox P, Zhong W, Ganem DE, Divers TJ, Van Blaricum AJ, et al. Identification of a previously undescribed divergent virus from the Flaviviridae family in an outbreak of equine serum hepatitis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E1407–15.
- Panciera RJ. Serum hepatitis in the horse. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1969;155:408–10.
- Aleman M, Nieto JE, Carr EA, Carlson GP. Serum hepatitis associated with commercial plasma transfusion in horses. J Vet Intern Med. 2005;19:120–2.
- Burbelo PD, Dubovi EJ, Simmonds P, Medina JL, Henriquez JA, Mishra N, et al. Serology-enabled discovery of genetically diverse hepaciviruses in a new host. J Virol. 2012;86:6171–8.
- Kapoor A, Simmonds P, Cullen JM, Scheel TK, Medina JL, Giannitti F, et al. Identification of a pegivirus (GB virus-like virus) that infects horses. J Virol. 2013;87:7185–90.
- Scheel TK, Simmonds P, Kapoor A. Surveying the global virome: identification and characterization of HCV-related animal hepaciviruses. Antiviral Res. 2015;115:83–93.
- Pfaender S, Cavalleri JM, Walter S, Doerrbecker J, Campana B, Brown RJ, et al. Clinical course of infection and viral tissue tropism of hepatitis C virus-like nonprimate hepaciviruses in horses. Hepatology. 2015;61:447–59.
- Scheel TK, Kapoor A, Nishiuchi E, Brock KV, Yu Y, Andrus L, et al. Characterization of nonprimate hepacivirus and construction of a functional molecular clone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:2192–7.
- Ramsay JD, Evanoff R, Wilkinson TE Jr, Divers TJ, Knowles DP, Mealey RH. Experimental transmission of equine hepacivirus in horses as a model for hepatitis C virus. Hepatology. 2015;61:1533–46.
- Lyons S, Kapoor A, Schneider BS, Wolfe ND, Culshaw G, Corcoran B, et al. Viraemic frequencies and seroprevalence of non-primate hepacivirus and equine pegiviruses in horses and other mammalian species. J Gen Virol. 2014;95:1701–11.
- Kapoor A, Kumar A, Simmonds P, Bhuva N, Singh Chauhan L, Lee B, et al. Virome analysis of transfusion recipients reveals a novel human virus that shares genomic features with hepaciviruses and pegiviruses. MBio. 2015;6:e01466–15.
- Kapoor A, Hornig M, Asokan A, Williams B, Henriquez JA, Lipkin WI. Bocavirus episome in infected human tissue contains non-identical termini. PLoS One. 2011;6:e21362.
- Kapoor A, Mehta N, Dubovi EJ, Simmonds P, Govindasamy L, Medina JL, et al. Characterization of novel canine bocaviruses and their association with respiratory disease. J Gen Virol. 2012;93:341–6.
- Kapoor A, Mehta N, Esper F, Poljsak-Prijatelj M, Quan PL, Qaisar N, et al. Identification and characterization of a new bocavirus species in gorillas. PLoS One. 2010;5:e11948.
- Kapoor A, Lipkin WI. Virus discovery in the 21st century. Chichester (UK): John Wiley & Sons; 2014.
- Tamura K, Stecher G, Peterson D, Filipski A, Kumar S. MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:2725–9.
- Zuker M. Mfold web server for nucleic acid folding and hybridization prediction. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:3406–15.
- Burbelo PD, Ragheb JA, Kapoor A, Zhang Y. The serological evidence in humans supports a negligible risk of zoonotic infection from porcine circovirus type 2. Biologicals. 2013;41:430–4.
- Burbelo PD, Ching KH, Morse CG, Alevizos I, Bayat A, Cohen JI, et al. Altered antibody profiles against common infectious agents in chronic disease. PLoS One. 2013;8:e81635.
- Burbelo PD, Ching KH, Esper F, Iadarola MJ, Delwart E, Lipkin WI, et al. Serological studies confirm the novel astrovirus HMOAstV-C as a highly prevalent human infectious agent. PLoS One. 2011;6:e22576.
- Hartlage AS, Cullen JM, Kapoor A. The strange, expanding world of animal hepaciviruses. Annu Rev Virol. 2016;3:53–75.
- Kapoor A, Simmonds P, Dubovi EJ, Qaisar N, Henriquez JA, Medina J, et al. Characterization of a canine homolog of human Aichivirus. J Virol. 2011;85:11520–5.
- Li L, Giannitti F, Low J, Keyes C, Ullmann LS, Deng X, et al. Exploring the virome of diseased horses. J Gen Virol. 2015;96:2721–33.
- Kailasan S, Agbandje-McKenna M, Parrish CR. Parvovirus family conundrum: what makes a killer? Annu Rev Virol. 2015;2:425–50.
- Bihari C, Rastogi A, Saxena P, Rangegowda D, Chowdhury A, Gupta N, et al. Parvovirus B19 associated hepatitis. Hepat Res Treat. 2013;2013:472027.
- Hatakka A, Klein J, He R, Piper J, Tam E, Walkty A. Acute hepatitis as a manifestation of parvovirus B19 infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:3422–4.
- Caruso C, Gobbi E, Biosa T, Andra’ M, Cavallazzi U, Masoero L. Evaluation of viral inactivation of pseudorabies virus, encephalomyocarditis virus, bovine viral diarrhea virus and porcine parvovirus in pancreatin of porcine origin. J Virol Methods. 2014;208:79–84.
- Roberts PL, Hart H. Comparison of the inactivation of canine and bovine parvovirus by freeze-drying and dry-heat treatment in two high purity factor VIII concentrates. Biologicals. 2000;28:185–8.
- Mani B, Gerber M, Lieby P, Boschetti N, Kempf C, Ros C. Molecular mechanism underlying B19 virus inactivation and comparison to other parvoviruses. Transfusion. 2007;47:1765–74.
- Blümel J, Stühler A, Dichtelmüller H. Kinetics of inactivating human parvovirus B19 and porcine parvovirus by dry-heat treatment. Transfusion. 2008;48:790–1.
- Qualls CW, Gribble DH. Equine serum hepatitis: a morphologic study. Lab Invest. 1976;34:330.
- Robinson M, Gopinath C, Hughes DL. Histopathology of acute hepatitis in the horse. J Comp Pathol. 1975;85:111–8.
Page created: January 17, 2018
Page updated: January 17, 2018
Page reviewed: January 17, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.