Volume 27, Number 1—January 2021
Attribution of Illnesses Transmitted by Food and Water to Comprehensive Transmission Pathways Using Structured Expert Judgment, United States
|Hald et al. (20)||Butler et al. (22)||Vally et al. (23)||This study|
|Country||AMR A (Canada, Cuba, USA)||Canada||Australia||United States|
|STEC O157||7||13.3||Combined as all STEC, 8||5|
|STEC non-O157||NE||11.4||Combined as all STEC, 8||6|
|Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli||42||15.3||Combined as other E. coli, 14||9|
|E. coli, other diarrheagenic||NE||15.6||Combined as other E. coli, 14||9|
|Vibrio vulnificus||NE||23.2||NE||Non-AGI, 78|
|V. parahaemolyticus||NE||11||NE||AGI, 24; non-AGI, 90|
|Vibrio spp. other
||AGI, 2; non-AGI, 3
|Hepatitis A virus||1||6.2||4||8|
*NE, not estimated; SEJ, structured expert judgment; STEC, Shiga toxin–producing Escherichia coli.
- Havelaar AH, Kirk MD, Torgerson PR, Gibb HJ, Hald T, Lake RJ, et al.; World Health Organization Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group. World Health Organization global estimates and regional comparisons of the burden of foodborne disease in 2010. PLoS Med. 2015;12:
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson MA, Roy SL, et al. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States—major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:7–15.
- Colford JM Jr, Roy S, Beach MJ, Hightower A, Shaw SE, Wade TJ. A review of household drinking water intervention trials and an approach to the estimation of endemic waterborne gastroenteritis in the United States. J Water Health. 2006;4(Suppl 2):71–88.
- Messner M, Shaw S, Regli S, Rotert K, Blank V, Soller J. An approach for developing a national estimate of waterborne disease due to drinking water and a national estimate model application. J Water Health. 2006;4(Suppl 2):201–40.
- Painter JA, Hoekstra RM, Ayers T, Tauxe RV, Braden CR, Angulo FJ, et al. Attribution of foodborne illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths to food commodities by using outbreak data, United States, 1998-2008. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:407–15.
- Hall AJ, Wikswo ME, Manikonda K, Roberts VA, Yoder JS, Gould LH. Acute gastroenteritis surveillance through the National Outbreak Reporting System, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1305–9.
- O’Brien SJ, Gillespie IA, Sivanesan MA, Elson R, Hughes C, Adak GK. Publication bias in foodborne outbreaks of infectious intestinal disease and its implications for evidence-based food policy. England and Wales 1992-2003. Epidemiol Infect. 2006;134:667–74.
- Verhoef L, Hewitt J, Barclay L, Ahmed SM, Lake R, Hall AJ, et al. Norovirus genotype profiles associated with foodborne transmission, 1999-2012. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:592–9.
- Hoffmann S, Fischbeck P, Krupnick A, McWilliams M. Informing risk-mitigation priorities using uncertainty measures derived from heterogeneous expert panels: a demonstration using foodborne pathogens. Reliab Eng Syst Saf. 2008;93:687–98.
- Colson AR, Cooke RM. Expert elicitation: using the classical model to validate experts’ judgments. Rev Environ Econ Policy. 2018;12:113–32.
- Cooke RM, Goossens LHJ. Procedures guide for structured expert judgment. Delft (the Netherlands): Delft University of Technology; 1999.
- Cooke RM. Experts in uncertainty: opinion and subjective probability in science. New York: Oxford University Press; 1991.
- Collier SA, Stockman LJ, Hicks LA, Garrison LE, Zhou FJ, Beach MJ. Direct healthcare costs of selected diseases primarily or partially transmitted by water. Epidemiol Infect. 2012;140:2003–13.
- Boore AL, Hoekstra RM, Iwamoto M, Fields PI, Bishop RD, Swerdlow DL. Salmonella enterica infections in the United States and assessment of coefficients of variation: a novel approach to identify epidemiologic characteristics of individual serotypes, 1996–2011. PLoS One. 2015;10:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Outbreak Reporting System (NORS) user guidance—waterborne disease outbreaks. 2017 [cited 2019 Jan 18]. https://www.cdc.gov/nors/pdf/CDC_5212_guidance.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Outbreak Reporting System (NORS) guidance. 2017 [cited 2019 Jan 18]. https://www.cdc.gov/nors/downloads/guidance.pdf
- Sedgewick R, Wayne K. Algorithms, 4th ed. Upper Saddle River (NJ): Addison-Wesley; 2011.
- R Core Team. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2017.
- EXCALIBUR [computer software]. Version 1.0. Delft (the Netherlands): TU Delft; 1989.
- Hald T, Aspinall W, Devleesschauwer B, Cooke R, Corrigan T, Havelaar AH, et al. World Health Organization estimates of the relative contributions of food to the burden of disease due to selected foodborne hazards: a structured expert elicitation. PLoS One. 2016;11:
- Havelaar AH, Galindo AV, Kurowicka D, Cooke RM. Attribution of foodborne pathogens using structured expert elicitation. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2008;5:649–59.
- Butler AJ, Thomas MK, Pintar KD. Expert elicitation as a means to attribute 28 enteric pathogens to foodborne, waterborne, animal contact, and person-to-person transmission routes in Canada. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2015;12:335–44.
- Vally H, Glass K, Ford L, Hall G, Kirk MD, Shadbolt C, et al. Proportion of illness acquired by foodborne transmission for nine enteric pathogens in Australia: an expert elicitation. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2014;11:727–33.
- Hale CR, Scallan E, Cronquist AB, Dunn J, Smith K, Robinson T, et al. Estimates of enteric illness attributable to contact with animals and their environments in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54(Suppl 5):S472–9.
- Mermin J, Hutwagner L, Vugia D, Shallow S, Daily P, Bender J, et al.; Emerging Infections Program FoodNet Working Group. Reptiles, amphibians, and human Salmonella infection: a population-based, case-control study. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38(Suppl 3):S253–61.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Outbreak Reporting System (NORS) [cited 2019 Jan 18]. https://www.cdc.gov/nors/about.html
- Foster MA, Hofmeister MG, Kupronis BA, Lin Y, Xia GL, Yin S, et al. Increase in hepatitis A virus infections—United States, 2013–2018. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019;68:413–5.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance for viral hepatitis—United States, 2015 [cited 2019 Oct 15]. https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/statistics/2015surveillance/index.htm
- Hall AJ, Wikswo ME, Pringle K, Gould LH, Parashar UD; Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC. Vital signs: foodborne norovirus outbreaks - United States, 2009-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:491–5.
- Hall AJ, Eisenbart VG, Etingüe AL, Gould LH, Lopman BA, Parashar UD. Epidemiology of foodborne norovirus outbreaks, United States, 2001-2008. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1566–73.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Balamuthia amebic encephalitis—California, 1999-2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57:768–71.
- Cope JR, Murphy J, Kahler A, Gorbett DG, Ali I, Taylor B, et al. Primary amebic meningoencephalitis associated with rafting on an artificial whitewater river: case report and environmental investigation. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66:548–53.
- Collier SA, Deng L, Adam EA, Benedict KM, Beshearse EM, Blackstock A, et al. Estimate of burden and direct healthcare cost of infectious waterborne disease in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020 Dec 22 [Epub ahead of print].
- Blake R, Peters J. Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) and International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC). J Environ Health. 2012;74:36–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Model Aquatic Health Code; 2018 [cited 2019 Feb 13]. https://www.cdc.gov/mahc/index.html
Page created: October 14, 2020
Page updated: January 27, 2021
Page reviewed: January 27, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.