Volume 7, Number 2—April 2001
4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections
The Impact of Hospital-Acquired Bloodstream Infections
- National Center for Health Statistics. Vital statistics of the United States. 119th ed. Washington: U.S. Census Bureau. Statistical abstract of the United States;1999. p.99.
- Wenzel RP. The mortality of hospital-acquired bloodstream infections: need for a new vital statistic? Int J Epidemiol. 1988;17:225–7.
- Broderick A, Mori M, Nettleman MD, Streed SA, Wenzel RP. Nosocomial infections: validation of surveillance and computer modeling to identify patients at risk. Am J Epidemiol. 1990;131:734–42.
- Morrison AJ Jr, Kaiser DL, Wenzel RP. A measurement of the efficacy of nosocomial infection control using the 95 percent confidence interval for infection rates. Am J Epidemiol. 1987;126:292–7.
- Wenzel RP, Osterman CA, Townsend TR, Veazey JM Jr, Servis KH, Miller LS, Development of a statewide program for surveillance and reporting of hospital-acquired infections. J Infect Dis. 1979;140:741–6.
- Pittet D, Wenzel RP. Nosocomial bloodstream infection: secular trends in rates and mortality in a tertiary health care center. Arch Intern Med. 1995;155:1177–84.
- Edmond MB, Wallace SE, McClish DK, Pfaller MA, Jones RN, Wenzel RP. Nosocomial bloodstream infections in United States hospitals: a three-year analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:239–44.
- Wenzel RP. Attributable mortality: the promise of better antimicrobial therapy. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:917–9.
- Haley RW, Culver DH, White JW, Morgan WM, Emori TG, Munn VP, The efficacy of infection surveillance and control programs in preventing nosocomial infections in US hospitals. Am J Epidemiol. 1985;121:182–205.
- Wenzel RP. The economics of nosocomial infection. J Hosp Infect. 1995;31:79–87.
- Darouiche RO, Raad II, Heard SO, Thornby JI, Wenker OC, Gabrielli A, A comparison of two antimicrobial-impregnated central venous catheters. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1–8.
- Wenzel RP, Edmond MB. The evolving technology of venous access. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:48–9.
- Bischoff WE, Reynolds TM, Sessler CN, Edmond MB, Wenzel RP. Handwashing compliance by health care workers: the impact of introducing an accessible, alcohol-based hand disinfectant. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:1017–21.
- Doebbeling BN, Stanley GL, Sheetz CT, Pfaller MA, Houston AK, Annis L, Comparative efficacy of alternative handwashing agents in reducing nosocomial infections in intensive care units. N Engl J Med. 1992;327:88–93.