Volume 15, Number 5—May 2009
CME ACTIVITY - Research
Increased Risk for Severe Malaria in HIV-1–infected Adults, Zambia
- Hewitt K, Steketee R, Mwapasa V, Whitworth J, French N. Interactions between HIV and malaria in non-pregnant adults: evidence and implications. AIDS. 2006;20:1993–2004.
- ter Kuile FO, Parise ME, Verhoeff FH, Udhaya KV, Newman RD, van Eijk AM, The burden of co-infection with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and malaria in pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2004;71:41–54.
- Whitworth J, Morgan D, Quigley M, Smith A, Mayanja B, Eotu H, Effect of HIV-1 and increasing immunosuppression on malaria parasitaemia and clinical episodes in adults in rural Uganda: a cohort study. Lancet. 2000;356:1051–6.
- French N, Nakiyingi J, Lugada E, Watera C, Whitworth JA, Gilks CF. Increasing rates of malarial fever with deteriorating immune status in HIV-1-infected Ugandan adults. AIDS. 2001;15:899–906.
- Patnaik P, Jere CS, Miller WC, Hoffman IF, Wirima J, Pendame R, Effects of HIV-1 serostatus, HIV-1 RNA concentration, and CD4 cell count on the incidence of malaria infection in a cohort of adults in rural Malawi. J Infect Dis. 2005;192:984–91.
- Van geertruyden JP, Mulenga M, Mwananyanda L, Chalwe V, Moerman F, Chilengi R, et al. HIV-1 immune suppression and antimalarial treatment outcome in Zambian adults with uncomplicated malaria. J Infect Dis. 2006;194:917–25.
- Diallo AH, Ki-Zerbo G, Sawadogo AB, Guiguemde TR. Severe malaria and HIV in adult patients in Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso [article in French]. Med Trop (Mars). 2004;64:345–50.
- Grimwade K, French N, Mbatha DD, Zungu DD, Dedicoat M, Gilks CF. Childhood malaria in a region of unstable transmission and high human immunodeficiency virus prevalence. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22:1057–63.
- Grimwade K, French N, Mbatha DD, Zungu DD, Dedicoat M, Gilks CF. HIV infection as a cofactor for severe falciparum malaria in adults living in a region of unstable malaria transmission in South Africa. AIDS. 2004;18:547–54.
- Cohen C, Karstaedt A, Frean J, Thomas J, Govender N, Prentice E, Increased prevalence of severe malaria in HIV-infected adults in South Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;41:1631–7.
- Khasnis AA, Karnad DR. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection in patients with severe falciparum malaria in urban India. J Postgrad Med. 2003;49:114–7.
- Chirenda J, Siziya S, Tshimanga M. Association of HIV infection with the development of severe and complicated malaria cases at a rural hospital in Zimbabwe. Cent Afr J Med. 2000;46:5–9.
- Hayes RJ, Marsh K, Snow RW. Case-control studies of severe malaria. J Trop Med Hyg. 1992;95:157–66.
- Craig MH, Snow RW, le Sueur D. A climate-based distribution model of malaria transmission in sub-Saharan Africa. Parasitol Today. 1999;15:105–11.
- Central Board of Health, Ministry of Health, Government of Republic of Zambia (GRZ). Zambia 2004 antenatal clinic sentinel surveillance. Lusaka (Zambia): GRZ; 2007.
- Severe falciparum malaria. World Health Organization, communicable diseases cluster. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2000;94(Suppl 1):S1–90.
- Central Board of Health, Ministry of Health, Government of Republic of Zambia (GRZ). Zambia. Management of antiretroviral therapy. A reference manual for health workers. Lusaka (Zambia): GRZ; 2004.
- Janossy G, Jani I, Göhde W. Affordable CD4(+) T-cell counts on ‘single-platform’ flow cytometers I. Primary CD4 gating. Br J Haematol. 2000;111:1198–208.
- Van geertruyden JP, Mulenga M, Kasongo W, Polman K, Colebunders R, Kestens L, et al. CD4 T-cell count and HIV-1 infection in adults with uncomplicated malaria. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006;43:363–7.
- Butcher GA. T-cell depletion and immunity to malaria in HIV-infections. Parasitology. 2005;130:141–50.
- Gilks CF, Brindle RJ, Otieno LS, Simano PM, Newnham RS, Bhatt SM, Life-threatening bacteraemia in HIV-1 seropositive adults admitted to hospital in Nairobi, Kenya. Lancet. 1990;336:545–9.
- Hay SL, Guerra CA, Tatem AJ, Noor AM, Snow RW. The global distribution and population at risk of malaria: past, present, and future. Lancet Infect Dis. 2004;4:327–36.
- Mermin J, Ekwaru JP, Liechty CA, Were W, Downing R, Ransom R, Effect of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis, antiretroviral therapy, and insecticide-treated bednets on the frequency of malaria in HIV-1-infected adults in Uganda: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2006;367:1256–61.
Page created: December 20, 2010
Page updated: December 20, 2010
Page reviewed: December 20, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.