Volume 18, Number 8—August 2012
CME ACTIVITY - Synopsis
Vaccination of Health Care Workers to Protect Patients at Increased Risk for Acute Respiratory Disease
|Study||Type of score (maximum score)*
|Reporting (11)||External validity (3)||Internal validity, bias (7)||Internal validity, confounding (6)||Total (27)|
|Ando et al. (30)||5||2||2||1||10|
|Shugarman et al. (35)||6||0||1||3||10|
|Kanaoka et al. (29)||5||1||3||1||10|
|Monto et al. (36)||5||0||2||2||9|
|Weinstock et al. (32)||4||0||4||1||9|
|Stevenson et al. (37)||4||1||2||1||8|
|Munford et al. (34)||2||0||0||1||3|
*Maximum score indicates lowest risk of bias for each domain.
- World Health Organization. WHO guidelines for pharmacological management of influenza. Revised February 2010. Part 1: recommendations [cited 2010 Dec 10]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/h1n1_guidelines_pharmaceutical_mngt.pdf
- Weingarten S, Friedlander M, Rascon D, Ault M, Morgan M, Meyer RD. Influenza surveillance in an acute-care hospital. Arch Intern Med. 1988;148:113–6.
- Jacomo V, Sartor C, Zandotti C, Atlan-Gepner C, Drancourt M. Nosocomial influenza outbreak in an intensive-care unit. Med Mal Infect. 2001;31:563–8.
- Rivera M, Gonzalez N. An influenza outbreak in a hospital. Am J Nurs. 1982;82:1836–8.
- Horcajada JP, Pumarola T, Martinez JA, Tapias G, Bayas JM, de la Prada M, A nosocomial outbreak of influenza during a period without influenza epidemic activity. Eur Respir J. 2003;21:303–7.
- Malavaud S. Nosocomial outbreak of influenza virus A (H3N2) infection in a solid organ transplant department. Transplantation. 2001;72:535–7.
- Hall CB, Douglas RG. Nosocomial influenza infection as a cause of intercurrent fevers in infants. Pediatrics. 1975;55:673–7.
- Lester-Smith D, Zurynski YA, Booy R, Festa MS, Kesson AM, Elliott EJ. The burden of childhood influenza in a tertiary paediatric setting. Commun Dis Intell. 2009;33:209–15.
- Meibalane R. Outbreak of influenza in a neonatal intensive care unit. J Pediatr. 1977;91:974–6.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Sukumar SR, Joseph CL. Infectious disease outbreaks in nursing homes: an unappreciated hazard for frail elderly persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:870–6.
- Nuorti JP, Butler JC, Crutcher JM, Guevara R, Welch D, Holder P, An outbreak of multi-drug resistant pneumococcal pneumonia and bacteremia among unvaccinated nursing home residents. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1861–8.
- Yassi A, McGill M, Holton D, Nicolle L. Morbidity, cost and role of healthcare worker transmission in an influenza outbreak in a tertiary care hospital. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. 1993;4:52–6.
- Pachucki CT. Influenza A among hospital personnel and patients: implications for recognition, prevention and control. Arch Intern Med. 1989;149:77–80.
- Catalyud L. Six C, Duponchel J, Sillam F, Charlet F, Leussier J, et al. Épisodes de grippe dans deux établissements d’hébergement pour personnes âgées dans les Bouches-du-Rhône, France, mars-avril 2008. Bulletin épidémiologique hebdomadaire. 2009;18–19:189–192.
- Elder AG, O’Donnell B, McCruden EAB, Symington IS, Carman WF. Incidence and recall of influenza in a cohort of Glasgow healthcare workers during the 1993–4 epidemic: results of serum testing and questionnaire. BMJ. 1996;313:1241–2.
- Wilde JA, McMillan JA, Serwint J, Butta J, O’Riordan MA, Steinhoff MC. Effectiveness of influenza vaccine in healthcare professionals. JAMA. 1999;281:908–13.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:1–5.
- Burls A, Jordan R, Barton P, Olowokure B, Wake B, Albon E, Vaccinating healthcare workers against influenza to protect the vulnerable—is it a good use of healthcare resources? A systematic review of the evidence and an economic evaluation. Vaccine. 2006;24:4212–21.
- Thomas RE, Jefferson T, Lasserson TJ. Influenza vaccination for healthcare workers who work with the elderly. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(
- Higgins JPT, Sally Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Version 5.1.0 [cited 2010 Dec 10]. http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/cochrane/handbook/
- Downs SH, Black N. The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions. J Epidemiol Community Health. 1998;52:377–84.
- West S, King V, Carey T, Lohr K, McKoy N, Sutton S, Systems to rate the strength of scientific evidence. Evidence report/technology appraisal number 47. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2002 [cited 2012 May 30]. http://www.thecre.com/pdf/ahrq-system-strength.pdf
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Systematic reviews. CRD’s guidance for undertaking reviews in healthcare. York (UK): The Centre, University of York; 2008.
- Carman WF, Elder AG, Wallace LA, McAulay K, Walker A, Murray GD, Effects of influenza vaccination of health-care workers on mortality of elderly people in long-term care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2000;355:93–7.
- Potter J, Stott DJ, Roberts MA, Elder AG, O’Donnell B, Knight PV, Influenza vaccination of healthcare workers in long-term-care hospitals reduces the mortality of elderly patients. J Infect Dis. 1997;175:1–6.
- Lemaitre M, Meret T, Rothan-Tondeur M, Belmin J, Lejonc J, Luquel L, Effect of influenza vaccination of nursing home staff on mortality of residents: a cluster-randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009;57:1580–6.
- Hayward AC, Harling R, Wetten S, Johnson AM, Munro S, Smedley J, Effectiveness of an influenza vaccine programme for care home staff to prevent death, morbidity, and health service use among residents: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2006;333:1241–2.
- Oshitani H, Saito R, Seki N, Tanabe N, Yamazaki O, Hayashi S, Influenza vaccination levels and influenza like illness in long term care facilities for elderly people during an Influenza A (H3N2) epidemic. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:728–30.
- Kanaoka S. Inpatient and personnel vaccination influence on influenza outbreaks in long-term medical and care hospital [in Japanese]. Kansenshogaku Zasshi. 2010;84:14–8.
- Ando R, Kaname S, Yoshida M, Murakami A, Kurimoto Y, Higaki M, Survey of novel influenza A (H1N1) infection and vaccination in dialysis facilities in the Tokyo Tama area [in Japanese]. Nihon Toseki Igakki Zasshi. 2010;43:891–7.
- Engels O, Goldman N, Doyen M, Duyse M, Van Beers D, Vergison A. Reduction of the nosocomial influenza A burden in a paediatric hospital by immunisation of the healthcare workers. Abstract no. 1133_242. Presentation at the 15th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases; 2005 April 2–5; Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Weinstock DM, Eagan J, Malak SA, Rogers M, Wallace H, Kiehn TE, Control of influenza A on a bone marrow transplant unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:730–2.
- Saito R, Suzuki H, Oshitani H, Sakai T, Seki N, Tanabe N. The effectiveness of influenza vaccine against influenza a (H3N2) virus infections in nursing homes in Niigata, Japan, during the 1998–1999 and 1999–2000 seasons. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002;23:82–6.
- Munford C, Finnigan S. Influenza campaign 2006 and 2007: a residential care success story. Can J Infect Control. 2008;23:222–5, 227.
- Shugarman LR, Hales C, Setodji CM, Bardenheier B, Lynn J. The influence of staff and resident immunization rates on influenza-like illness outbreaks in nursing homes. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006;7:562–7.
- Monto AS, Rotthoff J, Teich E, Herlocher ML, Truscon R, Yen H, Detection and control of influenza outbreaks in well-vaccinated nursing home populations. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;39:459–64.
- Stevenson CG, McArthur MA, Naus M, Abraham E, McGeer AJ. Prevention of influenza and pneumococcal pneumonia in Canadian long-term care facilities: how are we doing? CMAJ. 2001;164:1413–9.
- Talbot TR, Babcock H, Caplan AL, Cotton D, Maragakis LL, Poland GA, Revised SHEA position paper: influenza vaccination of healthcare personnel. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31:987–95.
- van den Dool C, Bonten MJ, Hak E, Wallinga J. Modeling the effects of influenza vaccination of healthcare workers in hospital departments. Vaccine. 2009;27:6261–7.
- Anikeeva O, Braunack-Mayer A, Rogers W. Requiring influenza vaccination for healthcare workers. Am J Public Health. 2009;99:24–9.
Page created: July 23, 2012
Page updated: July 23, 2012
Page reviewed: July 23, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.