Volume 21, Number 10—October 2015
Methicillin-Susceptible, Vancomycin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Brazil
- Rossi F, Diaz L, Wollam A, Panesso D, Zhou Y, Rincon S, Transferable vancomycin resistance in a community-associated MRSA lineage. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:1524–31.
- Reyes J, Rincon S, Diaz L, Panesso D, Contreras GA, Zurita J, Dissemination of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 sequence type 8 lineage in Latin America. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:1861–7.
- Tomita H, Pierson C, Lim SK, Clewell DB, Ike Y. Possible connection between a widely disseminated conjugative gentamicin resistance (pMG1-like) plasmid and the emergence of vancomycin resistance in Enterococcus faecium. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:3326–33.
- Arias CA, Panesso D, Singh KV, Rice LB, Murray BE. Cotransfer of antibiotic resistance genes and a hylEfm-containing virulence plasmid in Enterococcus faecium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:4240–6.
- Benson MA, Ohneck EA, Ryan C, Alonzo F III, Smith H, Narechania A, Evolution of hypervirulence by a MRSA clone through acquisition of a transposable element. Mol Microbiol. 2014;93:664–81.
- Stamatakis A. RAxML-VI-HPC: maximum likelihood-based phylogenetic analyses with thousands of taxa and mixed models. Bioinformatics. 2006;22:2688–90.
- Bouhss A, Josseaume N, Severin A, Tabei K, Hugonnet JE, Shlaes D, Synthesis of the L-alanyl-L-alanine cross-bridge of Enterococcus faecalis peptidoglycan. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45935–41.
- Kos VN, Desjardins CA, Griggs A, Cerqueira G, Van Tonder A, Holden MT, Comparative genomics of vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains and their positions within the clade most commonly associated with methicillin-resistant S. aureus hospital-acquired infection in the United States. MBio. 2012;3:e00112–12.
- Arbeloa A, Hugonnet JE, Sentilhes AC, Josseaume N, Dubost L, Monsempes C, Synthesis of mosaic peptidoglycan cross-bridges by hybrid peptidoglycan assembly pathways in gram-positive bacteria. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:41546–56.
- Nübel U, Roumagnac P, Feldkamp M, Song JH, Ko KS, Huang YC, Frequent emergence and limited geographic dispersal of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14130–5.
- Caboclo RM, Cavalcante FS, Iorio NL, Schuenck RP, Olendzki AN, Felix MJ, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Rio de Janeiro hospitals: dissemination of the USA400/ST1 and USA800/ST5 SCCmec type IV and USA100/ST5 SCCmec type II lineages in a public institution and polyclonal presence in a private one. Am J Infect Control. 2013;41:e21–6.
- Dabul AN, Kos VN, Gilmore MS, Camargo IL. Draft genome sequence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain SA16, representative of an endemic clone from a Brazilian hospital. Genome Announc. 2013;1:e00754–13.
- Teixeira MM, Araujo MC, Silva-Carvalho MC, Beltrame CO, Oliveira CC, Figueiredo AM, Emergence of clonal complex 5 (CC5) methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolates susceptible to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole in a Brazilian hospital. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2012;45:637–43.
- Hiramatsu K, Aritaka N, Hanaki H, Kawasaki S, Hosoda Y, Hori S, Dissemination in Japanese hospitals of strains of Staphylococcus aureus heterogeneously resistant to vancomycin. Lancet. 1997;350:1670–3 .
- Arthur M, Depardieu F, Cabanie L, Reynolds P, Courvalin P. Requirement of the VanY and VanX D,D-peptidases for glycopeptide resistance in enterococci. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:819–30 .
Page created: September 22, 2015
Page updated: September 22, 2015
Page reviewed: September 22, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.