Volume 21, Number 12—December 2015
Asymptomatic MERS-CoV Infection in Humans Possibly Linked to Infected Dromedaries Imported from Oman to United Arab Emirates, May 2015
|Camel ID||Age/sex||Purpose of importation||Mucopurulent nasal discharge†||Test results
|RT-PCR (Ct)†‡||Rapid antigen test†§||Serum neutralizing antibody titer†¶|
|ADFCA-HKU1||4 m/F||Breeding||Moderate||Pos (24.54)||Pos||1:40|
|ADFCA-HKU2||4 m/F||Breeding||Moderate||Pos (27.59)||Pos||1:40|
|ADFCA-HKU3||4 m/F||Breeding||Moderate||Pos (28.82)||Neg||1:80|
|ADFCA-HKU4||7 m/F||Breeding||Moderate||Pos (29.81)||Neg||1:80|
|ADFCA-HKU5||10 y/F||Breeding||Mild||Pos (30.05)||Neg||1:160|
*Ct, cycle threshold; ID, identification; MERS-CoV, Middle East respiratory syndrome; Neg, negative; Pos, positive; RT-PCR, reverse transcription PCR.
†Observations or samples from the second sampling on May 14, 2015.
‡Results were determined by open reading frame 1A and upstream of E gene RT-PCR assays; Ct values were from the open reading frame 1A assay. Ct values from both assays were comparable (data not shown).
§Results were determined by immunochromatographic tests for MERS-CoV nucleocapsid protein (12).
¶Results were determined by pseudoparticle neutralization assays (11).
- Zaki AM, van Boheemen S, Bestebroer TM, Osterhaus AD, Fouchier RA. Isolation of a novel coronavirus from a man with pneumonia in Saudi Arabia. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:1814–20 .
- World Health Organization. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV): summary and risk assessment of current situation in the Republic of Korea and China—as of 19 June 2015 [cited 2015 Aug 8]. http://www.who.int/emergencies/mers-cov/mers-cov-republic-of-korea-and-china-risk-assessment-19-june-2015.pdf?ua=1
- Zumla A, Hui DS, Perlman S. Middle East respiratory syndrome. Lancet. 2015 Jun 3 [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26049252
- Müller MA, Meyer B, Corman VM, Al-Masri M, Turkestani A, Ritz D, Presence of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus antibodies in Saudi Arabia: a nationwide, cross-sectional, serological study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:559–64.
- Azhar EI, El-Kafrawy SA, Farraj SA, Hassan AM, Al-Saeed MS, Hashem AM, Evidence for camel-to-human transmission of MERS coronavirus. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:2499–505.
- Memish ZA, Cotten M, Meyer B, Watson SJ, Alsahafi AJ, Al Rabeeah AA, Human infection with MERS coronavirus after exposure to infected camels, Saudi Arabia, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1012–5.
- Haagmans BL, Al Dhahiry SH, Reusken CB, Raj VS, Galiano M, Myers R, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus in dromedary camels: an outbreak investigation. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:140–5.
- World Health Organization. Emergencies preparedness, response. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)—United Arab Emirates [cited 2015 Jun 29]. http://www.who.int/csr/don/18-may-2015-mers-are/en/
- World Health Organization. Global alert and response (GAR). Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)—United Arab Emirates [cited 2015 Jun 29]. http://www.who.int/csr/don/24-may-2015-mers-are/en/
- Corman VM, Muller MA, Costabel U, Timm J, Binger T, Meyer B, Assays for laboratory confirmation of novel human coronavirus (hCoV-EMC) infections. Euro Surveill. 2012;17:20334 .
- Perera RA, Wang P, Gomaa MR, El-Shesheny R, Kandeil A, Bagato O, Seroepidemiology for MERS coronavirus using microneutralisation and pseudoparticle virus neutralisation assays reveal a high prevalence of antibody in dromedary camels in Egypt, June 2013. Euro Surveill. 2013;18:20574 .
- Song D, Ha G, Serhan W, Eltahir Y, Yusof M, Hashem F, Development and validation of a rapid immunochromatographic assay for detection of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus antigen in dromedary camels. J Clin Microbiol. 2015;53:1178–82.
- Chu DK, Poon LL, Gomaa MM, Shehata MM, Perera RA, Abu Zeid D, MERS coronaviruses in dromedary camels, Egypt. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1049–53.
- Oboho IK, Tomczyk SM, Al-Asmari AM, Banjar AA, Al-Mugti H, Aloraini MS, 2014 MERS-CoV outbreak in Jeddah—a link to health care facilities. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:846–54 .
- World Health Organization. Emergencies preparedness, response. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)—Republic of Korea [cited 2015 Jun 29]. http://www.who.int/csr/don/12-june-2015-mers-korea/en/
1These first authors contributed equally to this article.