Volume 21, Number 3—March 2015
Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis in Europe, 2010–2011
- World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis report 2013. Geneva: The Organization; 2013.
- World Health Organization. WHO global task force outlines measures to combat XDR-TB worldwide. 2006 [cited 2014 May 10]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2006/np29/en/
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control/WHO Regional Office for Europe. Tuberculosis surveillance and monitoring in Europe 2014. Stockholm: The Centre; 2014.
- Grzybowski S, Enarson DA. The fate of cases of pulmonary tuberculosis under various treatment programmes. Bull Int Union Tuberc Lung Dis. 1978;53:70–5.
- Ahuja SD, Ashkin D, Avendano M, Banerjee R, Bauer M, Bayona JN, Multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis treatment regimens and patient outcomes: an individual patient data meta-analysis of 9,153 patients. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001300 .
- Falzon D, Gandhi N, Migliori GB, Sotgiu G, Cox HS, Holtz TH, Resistance to fluoroquinolones and second-line injectable drugs: impact on multidrug-resistant TB outcomes. Eur Respir J. 2013;42:156–68.
- van der Werf MJ, Kodmön C, Hollo V, Sandgren A, Zucs P. Drug resistance among tuberculosis cases in the European Union and European Economic Area, 2007 to 2012. Euro Surveill. 2014;19:20733 .
- van der Werf MJ, Langendam MW, Huitric E, Manissero D. Knowledge of tuberculosis-treatment prescription of health workers: a systematic review. Eur Respir J. 2012;39:1248–55.
- Giehl C, Lange C, Duarte R, Bothamley G, Gerlach C, Cirillo DM, TBNET: collaborative research on tuberculosis in Europe. Eur J Microbiol Immunol (Bp). 2012;2:264–74.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control/WHO Regional Office for Europe. Tuberculosis surveillance and monitoring in Europe 2013. Stockholm: The Centre; 2013.
- World Health Organization. Definitions and reporting framework for tuberculosis—2013 revision [cited 2014 May 20]. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/79199/1/9789241505345_eng.pdf
- Lange C, Abubakr I, Alfenaar JW, Bothamley G, Caminero JA, Calvarho AC, Management of patients with multidrugresistant/extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in Europe: a TBNET consensus statement. Eur Respir J. 2014;44:23–63.
- Kreuter F, Valliant R. A survey on survey statistics: what is done and can be done in Stata. Stata J. 2007;7:1–21.
- Lemeshow S, Letenneur L, Dartigues JF, Lafont S, Orgogozo JM, Commenges D. Illustration of analysis taking into account complex survey considerations: the association between wine consumption and dementia in the PAQUID study. Am J Epidemiol. 1998;148:298–306 .
- van Leth F, Kalisvaart NA, Erkens CG, Borgdoff MW. Projection of the number of patients with tuberculosis in the Netherlands in 2030. Eur J Public Health. 2009;19:424–7.
- World Health Organization. Office for Europe: roadmap to prevent and combat drug-resistant tuberculosis, 2011 [cited 2014 Sep 18]. http://www.euro.who.int/en/publications/abstracts/roadmap-to-prevent-and-combat-drug-resistant-tuberculosis
- Uys PW, Warren R, van Helden PD, Murray M, Victor TC. Potential of rapid diagnosis for controlling drug-susceptible and drug-resistant tuberculosis in communities where Mycobacterium tuberculosis infections are highly prevalent. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:1484–90.
- van der Werf MJ, Langendam MW, Huitric E, Manissero D. Multidrug resistance after inappropriate tuberculosis treatment: a meta-analysis. Eur Respir J. 2012;39:1511–9.
- Skrahina A, Hurevich H, Zalutskaya A, Sahalchyk E, Astrauko A, Hoffner S, Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Belarus: the size of the problem and associated risk factors. Bull World Health Organ. 2013;91:36–45.
- Royce S, Falzon D, van Weezenbeek C, Dara M, Hyder K, Hopewell P, Multidrug resistance in new tuberculosis patients: burden and implications. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013;17:511–3.
- World Health Organization. Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. 2011 update. WHO/HTM/TB/2011.6:1-33 [cited 2014 Nov 13]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501583_eng.pdf
- Dalton T, Cegielski P, Akksilp S, Asencios L, Campos Caoili J, Cho SN, Prevalence of and risk factors for resistance to second-line drugs in people with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in eight countries: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2012;380:1406–17.
- Hoffner S. Unexpected high levels of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis present new challenges for tuberculosis control. Lancet. 2012;380:1367–9.
- Cegielski JP, Dalton T, Yagui M, Wattanaamornkiet W, Volchenkov GV, Via LE, Extensive drug resistance acquired during treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:1049–63.
- Van Deun A, Kya Jai Maug A, Halim MA, Kumar Das P, Ranjan Sarker M, Daru P, Short, highly effective, and inexpensive standardized treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182:684–92.
- Singh KP, Brown M, Murphy ME, Gillespie SH. Moxifloxacin for tuberculosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2012;12:176, author reply 177–8 .
- Jacobson KR, Tierney DB, Jeon CY, Mitnick CD, Murray MB. Treatment outcomes among patients with extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51:6–14.
- Kliiman K, Altraja A. Predictors of extensively drug-resistant pulmonary tuberculosis. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150:766–75.
- Zhao Y, Xu S, Wang L, Chin DP, Wang S, Jiang G, National survey of drug-resistant tuberculosis in China. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:2161–70.
- Hillemann D, Hoffner S, Cirillo D, Drobniewski F, Richter E, Rusch-Gerdes S. First evaluation after implementation of a quality control system for the second line drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis joint efforts in low and high incidence countries. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76765.
1Additional contributors from TBNET are listed at the end of this article.
Page created: February 18, 2015
Page updated: February 18, 2015
Page reviewed: February 18, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.