Volume 23, Number 6—June 2017
Distribution and Quantitative Estimates of Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Prions in Tissues of Clinical and Asymptomatic Patients
|Sample||Transmission in tgBov mice
||Mean infectious titer, LD50/g (95% CI)|
|No. positive/no. inoculated mice||Mean ± SD incubation, d|
|vCJD-1||5/5||458 ± 37||103.1 (102.6–103.5)|
|vCJD-2||6/6||373 ± 35||104.7 (104.3–05.2)|
|vCJD-3||4/6||504 ± 10||102.3 (101.8–102.7)|
|vCJD-4||6/6||447 ± 91||104.0 (103.4–04.5)|
*A 10% wt/vol bone marrow homogenate prepared from 4 symptomatic vCJD patients (Table 3) was inoculated intracerebrally into 6 tgBov mice (20 µL/mouse). One mouse (inoculated with homogenate from patient vCJD-1) died within the first few days after intercerebral inoculation. Mice were euthanized when they showed clinical signs of prion infection or after 600-d postinoculation. Mice were considered prion infected when abnormal PrP deposition was detected in brain. Infectious prion titers were estimated by using the method of Arnold et al. (17). The method uses the probability of survival (attack rate at each dilution) and the individual mouse incubation periods at each dilution to estimate infectious load. Infectious titers are given as estimated values. LD50, 50% lethal dose; NA, not applicable; PBS, phosphate-buffered saline; PrP; prion protein; vCJD, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- McKinley MP, Bolton DC, Prusiner SB. A protease-resistant protein is a structural component of the scrapie prion. Cell. 1983;35:57–62.
- Bruce ME, Will RG, Ironside JW, McConnell I, Drummond D, Suttie A, et al. Transmissions to mice indicate that ‘new variant’ CJD is caused by the BSE agent. Nature. 1997;389:498–501.
- Collinge J, Sidle KC, Meads J, Ironside J, Hill AF. Molecular analysis of prion strain variation and the aetiology of ‘new variant’ CJD. Nature. 1996;383:685–90.
- Garske T, Ghani AC. Uncertainty in the tail of the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease epidemic in the UK. PLoS One. 2010;5:e15626.
- Gill ON, Spencer Y, Richard-Loendt A, Kelly C, Dabaghian R, Boyes L, et al. Prevalent abnormal prion protein in human appendixes after bovine spongiform encephalopathy epizootic: large scale survey. BMJ. 2013;347(oct15 5):f5675.
- Wadsworth JD, Joiner S, Hill AF, Campbell TA, Desbruslais M, Luthert PJ, et al. Tissue distribution of protease resistant prion protein in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease using a highly sensitive immunoblotting assay. Lancet. 2001;358:171–80.
- Haïk S, Faucheux BA, Sazdovitch V, Privat N, Kemeny JL, Perret-Liaudet A, et al. The sympathetic nervous system is involved in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Nat Med. 2003;9:1121–3.
- Head MW, Ritchie D, Smith N, McLoughlin V, Nailon W, Samad S, et al. Peripheral tissue involvement in sporadic, iatrogenic, and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: an immunohistochemical, quantitative, and biochemical study. Am J Pathol. 2004;164:143–53.
- Saborio GP, Permanne B, Soto C. Sensitive detection of pathological prion protein by cyclic amplification of protein misfolding. Nature. 2001;411:810–3.
- Moda F, Gambetti P, Notari S, Concha-Marambio L, Catania M, Park KW, et al. Prions in the urine of patients with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:530–9.
- Lacroux C, Comoy E, Moudjou M, Perret-Liaudet A, Lugan S, Litaise C, et al. Preclinical detection of variant CJD and BSE prions in blood. PLoS Pathog. 2014;10:e1004202.
- Peden AH, Head MW, Ritchie DL, Bell JE, Ironside JW. Preclinical vCJD after blood transfusion in a PRNP codon 129 heterozygous patient. Lancet. 2004;364:527–9.
- Uro-Coste E, Cassard H, Simon S, Lugan S, Bilheude JM, Perret-Liaudet A, et al. Beyond PrPres type 1/type 2 dichotomy in Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000029.
- Moreno CR, Moazami-Goudarzi K, Laurent P, Cazeau G, Andreoletti O, Chadi S, et al. Which PrP haplotypes in a French sheep population are the most susceptible to atypical scrapie? Arch Virol. 2007;152:1229–32.
- Castilla J, Gutiérrez Adán A, Brun A, Pintado B, Ramírez MA, Parra B, et al. Early detection of PrPres in BSE-infected bovine PrP transgenic mice. Arch Virol. 2003;148:677–91.
- Douet JY, Zafar S, Perret-Liaudet A, Lacroux C, Lugan S, Aron N, et al. Detection of infectivity in blood of persons with variant and sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:114–7.
- Arnold ME, Hawkins SA, Green R, Dexter I, Wells GA. Pathogenesis of experimental bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE): estimation of tissue infectivity according to incubation period. Vet Res. 2009;40:8.
- Groschup MH, Buschmann A. Rodent models for prion diseases. Vet Res. 2008;39:32.
- Douet JY, Lacroux C, Corbière F, Litaise C, Simmons H, Lugan S, et al. PrP expression level and sensitivity to prion infection. J Virol. 2014;88:5870–2.
- Féraudet C, Morel N, Simon S, Volland H, Frobert Y, Créminon C, et al. Screening of 145 anti-PrP monoclonal antibodies for their capacity to inhibit PrPSc replication in infected cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11247–58.
- Langeveld JP, Jacobs JG, Erkens JH, Bossers A, van Zijderveld FG, van Keulen LJ. Rapid and discriminatory diagnosis of scrapie and BSE in retro-pharyngeal lymph nodes of sheep. BMC Vet Res. 2006;2:19.
- Cassard H, Torres JM, Lacroux C, Douet JY, Benestad SL, Lantier F, et al. Evidence for zoonotic potential of ovine scrapie prions. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5821.
- Lacroux C, Corbière F, Tabouret G, Lugan S, Costes P, Mathey J, et al. Dynamics and genetics of PrPSc placental accumulation in sheep. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:1056–61.
- Andréoletti O, Berthon P, Marc D, Sarradin P, Grosclaude J, van Keulen L, et al. Early accumulation of PrP(Sc) in gut-associated lymphoid and nervous tissues of susceptible sheep from a Romanov flock with natural scrapie. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:3115–26.
- Foster JD, Parnham DW, Hunter N, Bruce M. Distribution of the prion protein in sheep terminally affected with BSE following experimental oral transmission. J Gen Virol. 2001;82:2319–26.
- Lacroux C, Vilette D, Fernández-Borges N, Litaise C, Lugan S, Morel N, et al. Prionemia and leukocyte-platelet-associated infectivity in sheep transmissible spongiform encephalopathy models. J Virol. 2012;86:2056–66.
- Houston F, Foster JD, Chong A, Hunter N, Bostock CJ. Transmission of BSE by blood transfusion in sheep. Lancet. 2000;356:999–1000.
- Hilton DA. Pathogenesis and prevalence of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. J Pathol. 2006;208:134–41.
- Tamgüney G, Richt JA, Hamir AN, Greenlee JJ, Miller MW, Wolfe LL, et al. Salivary prions in sheep and deer. Prion. 2012;6:52–61.
- Andréoletti O, Simon S, Lacroux C, Morel N, Tabouret G, Chabert A, et al. PrPSc accumulation in myocytes from sheep incubating natural scrapie. Nat Med. 2004;10:591–3.
- Chianini F, Cosseddu GM, Steele P, Hamilton S, Hawthorn J, Síso S, et al. Correlation between infectivity and disease associated prion protein in the nervous system and selected edible tissues of naturally affected scrapie sheep. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0122785.
- Hadlow WJ, Kennedy RC, Race RE. Natural infection of Suffolk sheep with scrapie virus. J Infect Dis. 1982;146:657–64.
- Garza MC, Monzón M, Marín B, Badiola JJ, Monleón E. Distribution of peripheral PrP(Sc) in sheep with naturally acquired scrapie. PLoS One. 2014;9:e97768.
- Castilla J, Saá P, Soto C. Detection of prions in blood. Nat Med. 2005;11:982–5.
- Bougard D, Brandel JP, Bélondrade M, Béringue V, Segarra C, Fleury H, et al. Detection of prions in the plasma of presymptomatic and symptomatic patients with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:370ra182.
- Concha-Marambio L, Pritzkow S, Moda F, Tagliavini F, Ironside JW, Schulz PE, et al. Detection of prions in blood from patients with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:370ra183.
- Bishop MT, Diack AB, Ritchie DL, Ironside JW, Will RG, Manson JC. Prion infectivity in the spleen of a PRNP heterozygous individual with subclinical variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Brain. 2013;136:1139–45.
- Sisó S, González L, Jeffrey M. Neuroinvasion in prion diseases: the roles of ascending neural infection and blood dissemination. Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2010;2010:747892.
- Brown P, Brandel JP, Sato T, Nakamura Y, MacKenzie J, Will RG, et al. Iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, final assessment. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:901–7.
- Flechsig E, Hegyi I, Enari M, Schwarz P, Collinge J, Weissmann C. Transmission of scrapie by steel-surface-bound prions. Mol Med. 2001;7:679–84.
- Taylor D. Inactivation of the BSE agent. C R Biol. 2002;325:75–6.
- Molesworth A, Yates P, Hewitt PE, Mackenzie J, Ironside JW, Galea G, et al. Investigation of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease implicated organ or tissue transplantation in the United Kingdom. Transplantation. 2014;98:585–9.
- Jayanthi P, Thomas P, Bindhu P, Krishnapillai R. Prion diseases in humans: oral and dental implications. N Am J Med Sci. 2013;5:399–403.
- Peden A, McCardle L, Head MW, Love S, Ward HJ, Cousens SN, et al. Variant CJD infection in the spleen of a neurologically asymptomatic UK adult patient with haemophilia. Haemophilia. 2010;16:296–304.
- Llewelyn CA, Hewitt PE, Knight RS, Amar K, Cousens S, Mackenzie J, et al. Possible transmission of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease by blood transfusion. Lancet. 2004;363:417–21.
- Lefrère JJ, Hewitt P. From mad cows to sensible blood transfusion: the risk of prion transmission by labile blood components in the United Kingdom and in France. Transfusion. 2009;49:797–812.
- Edgeworth JA, Farmer M, Sicilia A, Tavares P, Beck J, Campbell T, et al. Detection of prion infection in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a blood-based assay. Lancet. 2011;377:487–93.
- Jackson GS, Burk-Rafel J, Edgeworth JA, Sicilia A, Abdilahi S, Korteweg J, et al. A highly specific blood test for vCJD. Blood. 2014;123:452–3.