Volume 24, Number 8—August 2018
Susceptibility of Human Prion Protein to Conversion by Chronic Wasting Disease Prions
- Haley NJ, Hoover EA. Chronic wasting disease of cervids: current knowledge and future perspectives. Annu Rev Anim Biosci. 2015;3:305–25.
- Benestad SL, Mitchell G, Simmons M, Ytrehus B, Vikøren T. First case of chronic wasting disease in Europe in a Norwegian free-ranging reindeer. Vet Res (Faisalabad). 2016;47:88.
- Dagleish MP. Chronic wasting disease of deer—is the battle to keep Europe free already lost? Vet Rec. 2016;179:121–3.
- Head MW. Human prion diseases: molecular, cellular and population biology. Neuropathology. 2013;33:221–36.
- Cassard H, Torres JM, Lacroux C, Douet JY, Benestad SL, Lantier F, et al. Evidence for zoonotic potential of ovine scrapie prions. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5821.
- Comoy E, Mikol J, Durand V, Luccantoni S, Correia E, Lescoutra N, et al. Transmission of prions to primates after extended silent incubation periods: implications for BSE and scrapie risk assessment in human populations. Prion. 2015;9(Suppl 1):S3–S.
- Barria MA, Ironside JW, Head MW. Exploring the zoonotic potential of animal prion diseases: in vivo and in vitro approaches. Prion. 2014;8:85–91.
- Marsh RF, Kincaid AE, Bessen RA, Bartz JC. Interspecies transmission of chronic wasting disease prions to squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus). J Virol. 2005;79:13794–6.
- Race B, Meade-White KD, Miller MW, Barbian KD, Rubenstein R, LaFauci G, et al. Susceptibilities of nonhuman primates to chronic wasting disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1366–76.
- Kong Q, Huang S, Zou W, Vanegas D, Wang M, Wu D, et al. Chronic wasting disease of elk: transmissibility to humans examined by transgenic mouse models. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7944–9.
- Sandberg MK, Al-Doujaily H, Sigurdson CJ, Glatzel M, O’Malley C, Powell C, et al. Chronic wasting disease prions are not transmissible to transgenic mice overexpressing human prion protein. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:2651–7.
- Tamgüney G, Giles K, Bouzamondo-Bernstein E, Bosque PJ, Miller MW, Safar J, et al. Transmission of elk and deer prions to transgenic mice. J Virol. 2006;80:9104–14.
- Wilson R, Plinston C, Hunter N, Casalone C, Corona C, Tagliavini F, et al. Chronic wasting disease and atypical forms of bovine spongiform encephalopathy and scrapie are not transmissible to mice expressing wild-type levels of human prion protein. J Gen Virol. 2012;93:1624–9.
- Kong Q, Cali I, Qing L, Yuan J, Huang S, Kofskey D, et al. Zoonotic potential of CWD prions: an update. Presented at International Prion Conference 2016, Tokyo, Japan, May 10–13, 2016; Abstract O-15, p. 99.
- Barria MA, Balachandran A, Morita M, Kitamoto T, Barron R, Manson J, et al. Molecular barriers to zoonotic transmission of prions. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:88–97.
- Jones M, Wight D, Barron R, Jeffrey M, Manson J, Prowse C, et al. Molecular model of prion transmission to humans. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:2013–6.
- Robinson SJ, Samuel MD, O’Rourke KI, Johnson CJ. The role of genetics in chronic wasting disease of North American cervids. Prion. 2012;6:153–62.
- Mitchell GB, Sigurdson CJ, O’Rourke KI, Algire J, Harrington NP, Walther I, et al. Experimental oral transmission of chronic wasting disease to reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus). PLoS One. 2012;7:e39055.
- Bishop MT, Hart P, Aitchison L, Baybutt HN, Plinston C, Thomson V, et al. Predicting susceptibility and incubation time of human-to-human transmission of vCJD. Lancet Neurol. 2006;5:393–8.
- Yokoyama T, Takeuchi A, Yamamoto M, Kitamoto T, Ironside JW, Morita M. Heparin enhances the cell-protein misfolding cyclic amplification efficiency of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Neurosci Lett. 2011;498:119–23.
- Chen B, Morales R, Barria MA, Soto C. Estimating prion concentration in fluids and tissues by quantitative PMCA. Nat Methods. 2010;7:519–20.
- Krejciova Z, Barria MA, Jones M, Ironside JW, Jeffrey M, González L, et al. Genotype-dependent molecular evolution of sheep bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) prions in vitro affects their zoonotic potential. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:26075–88.
- Kurt TD, Jiang L, Fernández-Borges N, Bett C, Liu J, Yang T, et al. Human prion protein sequence elements impede cross-species chronic wasting disease transmission. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:1485–96.
- Barria MA, Telling GC, Gambetti P, Mastrianni JA, Soto C. Generation of a new form of human PrPSc in vitro by interspecies transmission from cervid prions. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:7490–5.
- Hamir AN, Gidlewski T, Spraker TR, Miller JM, Creekmore L, Crocheck M, et al. Preliminary observations of genetic susceptibility of elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni) to chronic wasting disease by experimental oral inoculation. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2006;18:110–4.
- Green KM, Browning SR, Seward TS, Jewell JE, Ross DL, Green MA, et al. The elk PRNP codon 132 polymorphism controls cervid and scrapie prion propagation. J Gen Virol. 2008;89:598–608.
Page created: July 17, 2018
Page updated: July 17, 2018
Page reviewed: July 17, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.