Volume 26, Number 11—November 2020
Modeling Treatment Strategies to Inform Yaws Eradication
*Given parameter value is the maximum posterior value of the distribution from which each parameter is drawn, with the exception of λ which is consistent with expert opinion. Methods described in Appendix. †Steady state external force of infection. ‡Between-household rate of infection corresponding to a steady state external force of infection ε.
- Mitjà O, Asiedu K, Mabey D. Yaws. Lancet. 2013;381:763–73.
- Antal GM, Causse G. The control of endemic treponematoses. Rev Infect Dis. 1985;7(Suppl 2):S220–6.
- Mitjà O, Houinei W, Moses P, Kapa A, Paru R, Hays R, et al. Mass treatment with single-dose azithromycin for yaws. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:703–10.
- Mitjà O, Hays R, Ipai A, Penias M, Paru R, Fagaho D, et al. Single-dose azithromycin versus benzathine benzylpenicillin for treatment of yaws in children in Papua New Guinea: an open-label, non-inferiority, randomised trial. Lancet. 2012;379:342–7.
- World Health Organization. Accelerating work to overcome the global impact of neglected tropical diseases: a roadmap for implementation—executive summary. 2012 [cited 2020 Apr 22]. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/70809
- World Health Organization. NTD roadmap landscape 2021–2030. 2019 [cited 2020 Apr 22]. https://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/news/NTD-Roadmap-targets-2021-2030.pdf
- World Health Organization. Eradication of yaws—the Morges strategy. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2012;87:189–94.
- World Health Organization. Eradication strategy—the new eradication initiative [cited 2020 Apr 22]. http://www.who.int/yaws/strategy
- World Health Organization. Eradication of yaws: a guide for programme managers. 2018 [cited 2020 Apr 22]. https://www.who.int/yaws/resources/9789241512695
- Marks M, Mitjà O, Solomon AW, Asiedu KB, Mabey DC. Yaws. Br Med Bull. 2015;113:91–100.
- World Health Organization. Handbook of endemic treponematoses: yaws, endemic syphilis, and pinta. 1984 [cited 2020 Apr 22]. https://w]ww.who.int/yaws/resources/9241541768
- Marks M, Solomon AW, Mabey DC. Endemic treponemal diseases. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2014;108:601–7.
- Marks M, Vahi V, Sokana O, Puiahi E, Pavluck A, Zhang Z, et al. Mapping the epidemiology of yaws in the Solomon Islands: a cluster randomized survey. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015;92:129–33.
- Dyson L, Marks M, Crook OM, Sokana O, Solomon AW, Bishop A, et al. Targeted treatment of yaws with household contact tracing: how much do we miss? Am J Epidemiol. 2018;187:837–44.
- Daniel T. Gillespie. Exact stochastic simulation of coupled chemical reactions. J Phys Chem. 1977;81:2340–61.
- Marks M, Mitjà O, Fitzpatrick C, Asiedu K, Solomon AW, Mabey DCW, et al. Mathematical modeling of programmatic requirements for yaws eradication. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:22–8.
- Dyson L, Stolk WA, Farrell SH, Hollingsworth TD. Measuring and modelling the effects of systematic non-adherence to mass drug administration. Epidemics. 2017;18:56–66.
- Fitzpatrick C, Asiedu K, Jannin J. Where the road ends, yaws begins? The cost-effectiveness of eradication versus more roads. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2014;8:
- Mitjà O, Godornes C, Houinei W, Kapa A, Paru R, Abel H, et al. Re-emergence of yaws after single mass azithromycin treatment followed by targeted treatment: a longitudinal study. Lancet. 2018;391:1599–607.
- Mitjà O, Marks M, Bertran L, Kollie K, Argaw D, Fahal AH, et al. Integrated control and management of neglected tropical skin diseases. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:
- World Health Organization. Recognizing neglected tropical diseases through changes on the skin: a training guide for front-line health workers. 2018 [cited 2020 Apr 22]. https://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/resources/9789241513531
- Amza A, Kadri B, Nassirou B, Cotter SY, Stoller NE, Zhou Z, et al. A cluster-randomized trial to assess the efficacy of targeting trachoma treatment to children. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64:743–50.
- Šmajs D, Paštěková L, Grillová L. Macrolide resistance in the syphilis spirochete, Treponema pallidum ssp. pallidum: can we also expect macrolide-resistant yaws strains? Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015;93:678–83.