Volume 26, Number 12—December 2020
Coronavirus Disease Model to Inform Transmission-Reducing Measures and Health System Preparedness, Australia
|Parameter||Estimate or assumption||Justification|
|Doubling time||6.4 d||Estimated in from early case growth in Wuhan, China, from Wu et al. (11)|
||Based on Li et al. (12) and Lauer et al. (13)
|R0||2.53||Based on latent and infectious periods, with doubling time 6.4 d (Appendix)|
|Latent (noninfectious) period||3.2 d||Assumes 2 d of presymptomatic transmission before completion of incubation period, based on contribution estimates from Ganyani et al. (14) and Tindal et al. (15)|
|Infectious period||9.68 d||Estimated, related to doubling time and incubation period (Appendix)|
- World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) weekly epidemiological update 21 Sep 2020 [cited 24 Sep 2020]. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200921-weekly-epi-update-6.pdf
- Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72,314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA. 2020;323:1239–42.
- Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet. 2020;395:507–13.
- Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what next? Lancet. 2020;395:1225–8.
- Emanuel EJ, Persad G, Upshur R, Thome B, Parker M, Glickman A, et al. Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:2049–55.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Australian health management plan for pandemic influenza, 2019 [cited 2020 May 24]. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-ahmppi.htm
- Australian Government Department of Health. Australian health sector emergency response plan for novel coronavirus (COVID-19), 2020 [cited 2020 May 24]. https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/australian-health-sector-emergency-response-plan-for-novel-coronavirus-covid-19
- McCaw JM, Glass K, Mercer GN, McVernon J. Pandemic controllability: a concept to guide a proportionate and flexible operational response to future influenza pandemics. J Public Health (Oxf). 2014;36:5–12.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Coronavirus (COVID-19) current situation and case numbers [cited 2020 Apr 14]. https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers
- Moss R, McCaw JM, Cheng AC, Hurt AC, McVernon J. Reducing disease burden in an influenza pandemic by targeted delivery of neuraminidase inhibitors: mathematical models in the Australian context. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:552.
- Wu JT, Leung K, Leung GM. Nowcasting and forecasting the potential domestic and international spread of the 2019-nCoV outbreak originating in Wuhan, China: a modelling study. Lancet. 2020;395:689–97.
- Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1199–207.
- Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, Jones FK, Zheng Q, Meredith HR, et al. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med. 2020;172:577–82.
- Ganyani T, Kremer C, Chen D, Torneri A, Faes C, Wallinga J, et al. Estimating the generation interval for COVID-19 based on symptom onset data. Euro Surveill. 2020;25:
- Tindale L, Coombe M, Stockdale J, Garlock E, Lau W, Saraswat M, et al. Transmission interval estimates suggest pre-symptomatic spread of COVID-19. eLife. 2020;9:
- Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre. INRC Case Mix Programme Database, Report on 775 patients critically ill with COVID-19. 2020 Mar 27 [cited 2020 Apr 14]. https://www.icnarc.org/About/Latest-News/2020/03/27/Report-On-775-Patients-Critically-Ill-With-Covid-19
- COVID-19 Task Force of the Department of Infectious Diseases and Computer Service, Higher Institute of Health, Italy. Epidemiology of COVID-19, 2020 Mar 26 [in Italian] [cited 2020 Apr 14]. https://www.carditalia.com/epidemia-covid-19-aggiornamento-nazionale-iss-26-marzo-2020
- Ferguson N, Laydon D, Nedjati-Gilani G, Imai N, Ainslie K, Baguelin M, et al.; Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team. Report 9: impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand. Imperial College London; 2020 Mar 16.
- Lai S, Ruktanonchai NW, Zhou L, Prosper O, Luo W, Floyd JR, et al. Effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions to contain COVID-19 in China. Nature. 2020;585:410–3.
- Cowling BJ, Ali ST, Ng TWY, Tsang TK, Li JCM, Fong MW, et al. Impact assessment of non-pharmaceutical interventions against coronavirus disease 2019 and influenza in Hong Kong: an observational study. Lancet Public Health. 2020;5:e279–88.
- Walker P, Whittaker C, Watson O, Baguelin M, Ainslie K, Bhatia S, et al.; WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Modelling, MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, Abdul Latif Jameel Institute for Disease and Emergency Analytics. The global impact of COVID-19 and strategies for mitigation and suppression. Imperial College London; 2020 Mar 26.
- Zhang J, Zhou L, Yang Y, Peng W, Wang W, Chen X. Therapeutic and triage strategies for 2019 novel coronavirus disease in fever clinics. Lancet Respir Med. 2020;8:e11–2.
- Cheng AC, Holmes M, Dwyer DE, Senanayake S, Cooley L, Irving LB, et al. Influenza epidemiology in patients admitted to sentinel Australian hospitals in 2017: the Influenza Complications Alert Network (FluCAN). Commun Dis Intell. 2018;2019:43.
- Legido-Quigley H, Asgari N, Teo YY, Leung GM, Oshitani H, Fukuda K, et al. Are high-performing health systems resilient against the COVID-19 epidemic? Lancet. 2020;395:848–50.
- Moss R, Fielding JE, Franklin LJ, Stephens N, McVernon J, Dawson P, et al. Epidemic forecasts as a tool for public health: interpretation and (re)calibration. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2018;42:69–76.
- Lurie N, Saville M, Hatchett R, Halton J. Developing Covid-19 vaccines at pandemic speed. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1969–73.