Volume 26, Number 12—December 2020
Coronavirus Disease Model to Inform Transmission-Reducing Measures and Health System Preparedness, Australia
|Age group, y||% Hospitalized, range†||% Hospitalized in ICU, range‡|
|*COVID-19, coronavirus disease; ICU, intensive care unit.
†Assumed proportional to ICU values and based on calibration to non–Hubei, China, severe case rates (Appendix).
‡Combines use of data from Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (16) and COVID-19 Task Force of the Department of Infectious Diseases and Computer Service, Italy (17), and assumptions used in Ferguson et al. (18).
§Based on assumptions used in Ferguson et al. (18).
- World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) weekly epidemiological update 21 Sep 2020 [cited 24 Sep 2020]. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200921-weekly-epi-update-6.pdf
- Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72,314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA. 2020;323:1239–42.
- Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet. 2020;395:507–13.
- Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what next? Lancet. 2020;395:1225–8.
- Emanuel EJ, Persad G, Upshur R, Thome B, Parker M, Glickman A, et al. Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:2049–55.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Australian health management plan for pandemic influenza, 2019 [cited 2020 May 24]. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-ahmppi.htm
- Australian Government Department of Health. Australian health sector emergency response plan for novel coronavirus (COVID-19), 2020 [cited 2020 May 24]. https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/australian-health-sector-emergency-response-plan-for-novel-coronavirus-covid-19
- McCaw JM, Glass K, Mercer GN, McVernon J. Pandemic controllability: a concept to guide a proportionate and flexible operational response to future influenza pandemics. J Public Health (Oxf). 2014;36:5–12.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Coronavirus (COVID-19) current situation and case numbers [cited 2020 Apr 14]. https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers
- Moss R, McCaw JM, Cheng AC, Hurt AC, McVernon J. Reducing disease burden in an influenza pandemic by targeted delivery of neuraminidase inhibitors: mathematical models in the Australian context. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:552.
- Wu JT, Leung K, Leung GM. Nowcasting and forecasting the potential domestic and international spread of the 2019-nCoV outbreak originating in Wuhan, China: a modelling study. Lancet. 2020;395:689–97.
- Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1199–207.
- Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, Jones FK, Zheng Q, Meredith HR, et al. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med. 2020;172:577–82.
- Ganyani T, Kremer C, Chen D, Torneri A, Faes C, Wallinga J, et al. Estimating the generation interval for COVID-19 based on symptom onset data. Euro Surveill. 2020;25:
- Tindale L, Coombe M, Stockdale J, Garlock E, Lau W, Saraswat M, et al. Transmission interval estimates suggest pre-symptomatic spread of COVID-19. eLife. 2020;9:
- Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre. INRC Case Mix Programme Database, Report on 775 patients critically ill with COVID-19. 2020 Mar 27 [cited 2020 Apr 14]. https://www.icnarc.org/About/Latest-News/2020/03/27/Report-On-775-Patients-Critically-Ill-With-Covid-19
- COVID-19 Task Force of the Department of Infectious Diseases and Computer Service, Higher Institute of Health, Italy. Epidemiology of COVID-19, 2020 Mar 26 [in Italian] [cited 2020 Apr 14]. https://www.carditalia.com/epidemia-covid-19-aggiornamento-nazionale-iss-26-marzo-2020
- Ferguson N, Laydon D, Nedjati-Gilani G, Imai N, Ainslie K, Baguelin M, et al.; Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team. Report 9: impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand. Imperial College London; 2020 Mar 16.
- Lai S, Ruktanonchai NW, Zhou L, Prosper O, Luo W, Floyd JR, et al. Effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions to contain COVID-19 in China. Nature. 2020;585:410–3.
- Cowling BJ, Ali ST, Ng TWY, Tsang TK, Li JCM, Fong MW, et al. Impact assessment of non-pharmaceutical interventions against coronavirus disease 2019 and influenza in Hong Kong: an observational study. Lancet Public Health. 2020;5:e279–88.
- Walker P, Whittaker C, Watson O, Baguelin M, Ainslie K, Bhatia S, et al.; WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Modelling, MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, Abdul Latif Jameel Institute for Disease and Emergency Analytics. The global impact of COVID-19 and strategies for mitigation and suppression. Imperial College London; 2020 Mar 26.
- Zhang J, Zhou L, Yang Y, Peng W, Wang W, Chen X. Therapeutic and triage strategies for 2019 novel coronavirus disease in fever clinics. Lancet Respir Med. 2020;8:e11–2.
- Cheng AC, Holmes M, Dwyer DE, Senanayake S, Cooley L, Irving LB, et al. Influenza epidemiology in patients admitted to sentinel Australian hospitals in 2017: the Influenza Complications Alert Network (FluCAN). Commun Dis Intell. 2018;2019:43.
- Legido-Quigley H, Asgari N, Teo YY, Leung GM, Oshitani H, Fukuda K, et al. Are high-performing health systems resilient against the COVID-19 epidemic? Lancet. 2020;395:848–50.
- Moss R, Fielding JE, Franklin LJ, Stephens N, McVernon J, Dawson P, et al. Epidemic forecasts as a tool for public health: interpretation and (re)calibration. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2018;42:69–76.
- Lurie N, Saville M, Hatchett R, Halton J. Developing Covid-19 vaccines at pandemic speed. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1969–73.
Page created: September 24, 2020
Page updated: November 19, 2020
Page reviewed: November 19, 2020
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.