Volume 21, Number 1—January 2015
Protocol for Metagenomic Virus Detection in Clinical Specimens1
||Orthomyxovirinae, influenza virus A
||Poxvirinae, vaccinia virus
||Paramyxovirinae, Sendai virus
|Size, nm, shape||75–85, icosahedral||80–120, spherical, pleomorphic||270 × 350, brick-shaped complex||150–350, spherical, pleomorphic|
|Buoyant density, g/mL||1.36||1.2||1.23–1.27||1.31|
|Size genome, kbp||≈23.5||≈13.5||186–192||≈15.5|
|RNA/DNA||dsRNA||(–) ssRNA||dsDNA||(–) ssRNA|
|Genome organization||Linear, 10 segments||Linear, 8 segments||Linear, continuous||Linear, continuous|
|Virion assembly||Cytoplasmic inclusion bodies (viral factories)||Cytoplasm||Cytoplasmic factory areas||Cytoplasm|
|Release||After virus-induced cell death||Budding from cell membrane||Exocytosis, cell lysis||Budding from cell membrane|
|Sensitivity||Unknown||Cesium chloride, heat, formaldehyde, SDS, ultraviolet light, oxidation compound||Unknown||Cesium chloride, heat, formaldehyde, SDS, oxidation compound|
- Fauci AS, Morens DM. The perpetual challenge of infectious diseases. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:454–61.
- Jones KE, Patel NGN, Levy MA, Storeygard A, Balk D, Gittleman JL, Global trends in emerging infectious diseases. Nature. 2008;451:990–3.
- He B, Li Z, Yang F, Zheng J, Feng Y, Guo H, Virome profiling of bats from Myanmar by metagenomic analysis of tissue samples reveals more novel mammalian viruses. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61950.
- Baker KS, Leggett RM, Bexfield NH, Alston M, Daly G, Todd S, Metagenomic study of the viruses of African straw-colored fruit bats: detection of a chiropteran poxvirus and isolation of a novel adenovirus. Virology. 2013;441:95–106.
- Nakamura S, Yang C-S, Sakon N, Ueda M, Tougan T, Yamashita A, Direct metagenomic detection of viral pathogens in nasal and fecal specimens using an unbiased high-throughput sequencing approach. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4219.
- Whon TW, Kim M-S, Roh SW, Shin N-R, Lee H-W, Bae J-W. Metagenomic characterization of airborne viral DNA diversity in the near-surface atmosphere. J Virol. 2012;86:8221–31.
- Stang A, Korn K. Characterization of virus isolates by particle-associated nucleic acid PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:716–20.
- Clem AL, Sims J, Telang S, Eaton JW, Chesney J. Virus detection and identification using random multiplex (RT)-PCR with 3′-locked random primers. Virol J. 2007;4:65.
- King AM, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Ninth L. Report of the international committee on taxonomy of viruses. San Diego: Elsevier Academic Press; 2011.
- Tidona CA, Darai G. The Springer index of viruses. Berlin: Springer; 2001.
- Kohl C, Lesnik R, Brinkmann A, Ebinger A, Radonić A, Nitsche A, Isolation and characterization of three mammalian orthoreoviruses from European bats. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43106.
- Taguchi G. Introduction to quality engineering : designing quality into products and processes. Tokyo: Asian Productivity Organization; 1986.
- Bustin SA, Benes V, Garson JA, Hellemans J, Huggett J, Kubista M, The MIQE guidelines: minimum information for publication of quantitative real-time PCR experiments. Clin Chem. 2009;55:611–22.
- Langmead B, Salzberg SL. Fast gapped-read alignment with Bowtie 2. Nat Methods. 2012;9:357–9.
- Schulze M, Nitsche A, Schweiger B, Biere B. Diagnostic approach for the differentiation of the pandemic influenza A(H1N1)v virus from recent human influenza viruses by real-time PCR. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9966.
- Schroeder K, Nitsche A. Multicolor, multiplex real-time PCR assay for the detection of human-pathogenic poxviruses. Mol Cell Probes. 2010;24:110–3.
- Kurth A. Possible biohazard risk from infectious tissue and culture cells preserved with RNAlater. Clin Chem. 2007;53:1389–90.
- Schipper J, Chanson JS, Chiozza F, Cox NA, Hoffmann M, Katariya V, The status of the world’s land and marine mammals: diversity, threat, and knowledge. Science. 2008;322:225–30.
- Marston DA, McElhinney LM, Ellis RJ, Horton DL, Wise EL, Leech SL, Next generation sequencing of viral RNA genomes. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:444.
- Kohl C, Vidovszky MZ, Mühldorfer K, Dabrowski PW, Radonić A, Nitsche A, Genome analysis of bat adenovirus 2: indications of interspecies transmission. J Virol. 2012;86:1888–92.
- Wu Z, Ren X, Yang L, Hu Y, Yang J, He G, Virome analysis for identification of novel mammalian viruses in bat species from Chinese provinces. J Virol. 2012;86:10999–1012.
- Ge X, Li Y, Yang X, Zhang H, Zhou P, Zhang Y, Metagenomic analysis of viruses from bat fecal samples reveals many novel viruses in insectivorous bats in China. J Virol. 2012;86:4620–30.
- Donaldson EF, Haskew ANA, Gates JE, Huynh J, Moore CJ, Frieman MB. Metagenomic analysis of the viromes of three North American bat species: viral diversity among different bat species that share a common habitat. J Virol. 2010;84:13004–18.
- Li L, Victoria JG, Wang C, Jones M, Fellers GM, Kunz TH, Bat guano virome: predominance of dietary viruses from insects and plants plus novel mammalian viruses. J Virol. 2010;84:6955–65.
- Daly GM, Bexfield N, Heaney J, Stubbs S, Mayer AP, Palser A, A viral discovery methodology for clinical biopsy samples utilizing massively parallel next generation sequencing. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28879.
1Preliminary results of this study were presented at the Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases Meeting, January 29, 2014, Washington DC, USA.
Page created: January 05, 2015
Page updated: January 05, 2015
Page reviewed: January 05, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.