Infographic: Road Safety
International Road Safety
A route to avoiding a crash while abroad.
Motor vehicle crashes are the #1 killer of healthy US citizens traveling to foreign countries.
- Always wear seat belts and put children in car seats.
- Ride only in marked taxis that have seat belts.
- Be alert when crossing the street, especially in countries where people drive on the left.
- Don't drink and drive.
- Expect cars and trucks to share the road with pedestrians, bicycles, rickshaws, and animals.
- Don't ride motorcycles. If you must ride a motorcycle, wear a helmet.
- Know local traffic laws before you get behind the wheel.
- When possible, avoid riding in a car in a developing country at night.
- Avoid overcrowded, overweight, or top-heavy buses or vans.
- Page created: May 13, 2014
- Page last updated: May 13, 2014
- Page last reviewed: May 13, 2014
- Content source: