Infographic: Road Safety - 8 Simple Steps
International Road Safety
Road-related accidents are the #1 cause of preventable death in healthy US travelers.
Costly Mistake: Nearly half of medical evacuations back to the United States are the result of a car crash. A medical evacuation can cost more than $100,000.
A staggering 25,000 deaths resulting from vehicle-related accidents are tourists.
Don't be another statistic. Eight simple steps to minimize your risk:
- Always wear a seat belt and put children in car seats.
- When possible, avoid riding in a car in a developing country at night.
- Don't ride motorcycles. If you must ride a motorcycle, wear a helmet.
- Know local traffic laws before you get behind the wheel.
- Don't drink and drive.
- Ride only in marked taxis with seatbelts.
- Be alert when crossing the street, especially in countries where people drive on the left.
- Avoid overcrowded, overweight, or top-heavy buses or vans.
- Page created: May 13, 2014
- Page last updated: January 08, 2018
- Page last reviewed: January 08, 2018
- Content source: